Automatic rating & charging for events

Sven H

Question

Looking at using WHMCS to charge for events that a customer 'consumes' under a service contract. For example calls to Helpdesk. The charge for every event will depend on what subscription plan the customer is on, eg 'Premium Support at €5 per call', or 'Free support calls with Platinum Support at €15 per month'.

I imagine a flow like this:

1. A server in the callcenter records that a specific customer on a specific subscription plan has consumed an event.

2. The server sends the event to WHMCS (in realtime if possible, or otherwise imported in batch) together with a unique ID to identify which specific service subscription this event belongs to ( ie subscription ID = XXXX means 'Premium Support at €5 per call' for Bill Smith).

3. WHMCS identifies the event, selects the appropriate product (eg 'Support Call, €5), that is then added to the customer's account.

Is this at all possible, as described above or in some other way?

Edited by Sven H

4 answers to this question

Our thought!

WHMCS is used as a vehicle for your clients as a virtual part of your business so your customers/clients can come and place an order with you (of any kind, tangible or intangible item) for a anything you can think of.

Then the client can pay for this order, before, during or after the purchase in any length of time needed to pay (your choice), .............

or once signed up as a customer/client of yours, you can bill them at any time for any item listed for purchase or not listed for purchase (any kind, tangible or intangible item) in turn they can pay at any time, by any means you have pre-set to pay by (CC, PayPal, Google Check Out) or many other ways all pre-assigned to use in WHMCS.

WHMCS is an extremely flexible and an assignable solution to many repetitive and single (manual) tasks of purchasing and billing needs of today in a virtual world!

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the answer. Yes I know that WHMCS is very flexible etc. But my question was very specific, whether WHMCS can do automatic rating and billing of events.

This is different from recurring subscriptions that happen on a schedule, or purchases that the customer does in the shopping cart.

What I need is to be able to import events from an external system, have WHMCS recognise each event and tie the correct product to it, and charge it to the correct customer's account. Now, I could of course do this manually for every transaction, but that will be a bit heavy when we get to say a few tens of thousands per month.

This is how a telecoms billing system works, and frankly I have no expectation that WHMCS would be able to cope with this. But if it does, then it would be really great. And I would be really impressed...

Hi, thanks for the answer. Yes I know that WHMCS is very flexible etc. But my question was very specific, whether WHMCS can do automatic rating and billing of events.

This is different from recurring subscriptions that happen on a schedule, or purchases that the customer does in the shopping cart.

What I need is to be able to import events from an external system, have WHMCS recognise each event and tie the correct product to it, and charge it to the correct customer's account. Now, I could of course do this manually for every transaction, but that will be a bit heavy when we get to say a few tens of thousands per month.

This is how a telecoms billing system works, and frankly I have no expectation that WHMCS would be able to cope with this. But if it does, then it would be really great. And I would be really impressed...

Sven, I would think anything is possible with WHMCS! If you have the resources to a programmer and the funds to back their work. I would say "Yes" I have seen some very off the hook uses for WHMCS.

Tons of interfaces, addon modules, hooks and direct modifications to WHMCS have already been achieved. Why not yours! Its only a matter of time and money. If you need a reliable source for programming WHMCS contact a friend of ours who helped us through some of our issues email sales @ logicsurge.com, tell Anand we sent you and to hook you up!

Regards.