HTML/CSS Coding Could Be Improved!

xxkylexx

Hello there,

Don't mean to sound arrogant here, by all means do I love WHMCS as a whole, but the HTML/CSS coding of it is pretty horrid. Running a HTML validator on just the main page generats 18 errors alone. I would suggest cleaning up this code and running it in XHTML Strict.

If you would like, I have about 4 years of HTML, and 1 year of CSS/XHTML under my belt, and I would help re-work this code a bit for you, If you would like, Matt. I attempted to do it myself with my own files, but then realized it is all encoded and looks like a bunch of jibber jabber :).

Let me know.

Kyle

Hey,

To me, as long as the webpage loads fine and it can be viewd in all browser (like my sites) I don't care how the code looks. I mean the person visting the site is not going to look at the code, are they?

Just my two cents.

From,

Adam

Well, it's not really how it looks, it's how it funtions. The future of web design/browsing is going to be based off of xHTML which has alot more of a stricter coding scheme.

Yea, the program works great, and does function properly now, but I believe a cleaner/valid code would help the future progression of this great product.

Kyle

Hello there,

Don't mean to sound arrogant here,

Well it does.

Awfully rude to come into a strangers "house" and complain about wallpaper. Constructive criticism is one thing. But your comment is rude and self promoting.

I know way too many people who run very strict browsers that will not display pages correctly if they are not 100% valid.

He's not being rude he is merely pointing something out.... :S:P

Hello there,

Well it does.

Awfully rude to come into a strangers "house" and complain about wallpaper. Constructive criticism is one thing. But your comment is rude and self promoting.

I don't think I was being rude at all. As the forum states:

Feedback helps us to improve WHMCS. Good or bad, here's the place to leave it.

Just trying to help better the product, that's all.

Kyle

I didn't imply that there wasn't a problem or that problems should not be brought out. I just though the presentation was "horrid" and could have been handled a tad better. I would have been more tactful than the initial post.

Sorry if I got under ya'lls skin.

-Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Kyle is absolutly right - it should comply with the W3C standards.

Why should this happen?

• In future, HTML will not be valid, only XHTML
  • Many browsers are filterring out poor HTML even now
  • XHTML is a good habit to get into
  • W3C like companies that comply with their rules
  • The W3C logo looks good on a companies site.
  • Imagine the social status of being able to say "my website is completly XHTML compatible!

Like I said, I would be happy to help Matt in editing the code to valid XHTML if he would like-- as well as cleaning up the CSS a bit. I know he probably has bigger things on his mind about the project than this at the moment.

Kyle

Hello there,

Well it does.

Strangers house? He is a client. He is paying for a product, so their isnt anything wrong with asking for things to be coded to standards. Its not even HTML 4.0 valid, is that to hard to ask for? How long has that standard been around?

Anyway. I think he is moving things to smarty, so it will then be in our ballmart to change to markup to whatever we want. Woo hoo!

Actually it's like asking your interior deisgner to change your own wallpaper to comply with the new wallpaper regulations.

Mark,

Actually, the standards were already there before this script was written or probably even thought of, so i dont think asking for things to be done to standards is wrong. Again, it was just a request, wasnt a demand.

Good grief.. I just didn't like the way the inital post was made. Catching flys with vinegar or sugar. That sort of thing. Has nothing to do with being a paying client or not. Asking for a fix is one thing but rude is rude. Separate the two.