Virtual Server Vs Server

dbosch

I agree.... A VPS is a great place to start.

As you grow, and see the need, you can go full dedicated server.

You can easily move all your customers' data from VPS to dedicated.

Most of your customer won't even notice any downtime since you can easily change your name server ips from the vps server to the dedicated; and your resellers might have to change their name servers ips with their domian registrar...

It really boils down to how many sites you have or plan to have within what period of time?

I love the vps solution, been on one for 2 years, depending on the company your with, you can easily migrate from a smaller / lower cost plan up to an entire server and never have to migrate data or make any changes.

Servint, who I use has basic vps plans and then as you need it you increase your resources disk space bandwidth, and after you go up the ladder thru the plans and need more you can choose a deuce where only 2 people share a machine and even choose a solo where the box is yours.

One nice thing about servint's vps', you get total support without paying extra. Great for us non geeks who really dont want to leanr it either. You do need to know basic stuff, but other than that you can get assistance when you need it and the forums are a great resource.

I've used both for hosting and the VPS is a nice place to start or even stay and learn as you can re-install the OS or backup pretty easy if you make a mistake (which will happen) and you don't have to be responsible for maintaining the equipment.

Usually you can get on servers that have dual SCSI drives with RAID 1 or 10 for redundancy which is nice compared to the low end leased dedicateds which are usually single desktop IDE drives.

I later moved to my own custom built dedicateds when I was proficient enough as I wanted more control and didn't want to be in a sharred environment. Though it's a lot more responsibility but for the same monthly price of a leased dedicated I have dual cpu's and dual SATA RAID 1 hard drives.

Just depends on what your needs are. I was with SolarVPS for the VPS's and they were great. Had very responsive support. Colo4Dallas is great for colocation.

webhostingtalk.com is a wonderful place to learn about hosting also if your new to the business...