API Calls For Custom Order Form

dotsolutions

Hi,

I am building a custom order form. I am at the point where I have collected all the customers information (package, domain name (and determined availability), contact info, credit card info, ect).

After reviewing the API functions list, this is what I have deduced that I should do:

1) Create Client

2) Update Client To Add Credit Card Data

3) Add Order

4) Attempt Payment Capture With Invoice Id Returned From Step 3

5) Check invoice to see if payment was successful

6) Activate Order

This seems like a lot of extra steps. For example, Why can't I add a customers credit card information when creating that customer in the system? That would eliminate step 2. And in step 4, the payment capture API doesn't return anything, so I have to open the invoice in step 5 to see if it has been paid or not.

I am going off the documentation here, I haven't put this into code yet... so please enlighten me if I am wrong on any of these points, or if there is a better way to do this. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble with the CapturePayment step; I keep getting the message "Payment Attempt Failed". Going in through the admin UI, finding the invoice, and clicking 'Attempt Payment' works (changing nothing else gathered from previous steps).

I'm using authorize for the payment method in the order.

Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

You can add credit card details in the AddClient API call so don't need step 2, and CapturePayment returns a success or fail like all other API calls so no need to check the invoice after for the result.

Matt

Hi,

Adding the CC info on AddClient doesn't work for me. The info doesn't ever get into the database. However, if I take the same variables and put them in with UpdateClient, it works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, what is an 'issue number'? I'm assuming that's not the CVV number, but I'm not sure what to put there and whether leaving the field blank will affect recurring purchases from being approved. I tried searching for an answer, but there are conflicting answers when I google for it, so I'm not sure which one to believe.

Thanks,

Drew

An issue number is the number which used to be used for Switch (debit) cards, particularly in the UK if not elsewhere in europe/world. It identifies literally which issue that the card being used refers to... IE I am on my 13th new debit card with my bank, so my issue number is "13".

It was a poor form of validation as, at a guess, most people are usually under 10 issues of their debit card, so it was exactly rocket science to figure that number out...

Issue numbers are far less widespread these days, as most cards using them as a form of security do not anymore, especially now Switch is a thing of the past.

Also, when someone checks out with a debit card asking for an Issue number, it will usually also have in brackets "if exists" or "if applicable" so its not a mandatory field anymore, we used to process cards successfully without the issue number even if it did exist.

Whether that helps you or not, I don't know, but I believe it shouldn't cause you any problems if the field is left blank. It's nowhere near as important as the CVV.