Differences between product types?

eger

I noticed the different product types (domain package, hosting package, dedicated server package). Though selecting all of them display the same thing for me with the exception of being able to select domain information or not in the order form.

Anyone know what the other differences are and if it is possible to create more?

• WHMCS CEO

Here's a breakdown of each option and what it's for:

Shared Hosting - sets up a shared hosting account on the server

Reseller Hosting - sets up a reseller account on the server

Dedicated/VPS - asks the user for a server name, nameservers and root password instead of domain like with hosting

Other - domain options can be completely disabled

Matt

To build a product that might have different template options or show different data about it. Such as a colocation product might have an extra field for a hotlinked image which shows bandwidth statistics for that server port when viewed in the client area.

• WHMCS CEO

That's already possible to do just by editing the templates. For any products that aren't shared hosting, reseller hosting or a server, you should just use the product other. You can configure custom fields, domain options, configurable options etc... on a per product basis from there.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I have been looking around a bit more on how to do what I was asking and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I can give a better example.

I have a colocation product (which I have created as 'Other'). I am trying to get some of the custom fields for the customers product into the template so I can use it as, for example, {$customfield.switchport} to list a switch port I define, or create an image for a link I define in a custom field.

The 2 issues I have are 1, when using {debug} I cannot find any variables for the custom fields in the debug console. Then second, this template will be defined for just the 'Other' group. But what happens if I wanted to have another 'type' of product that had several more images or different information on custom fields? I would like to be able to say in the template "if producttype='other' then show this extra info", or "if producttype='mynewproducttype' then display this info".

Hope this makes a little bit of sense... I already see that {$type} is a variable which can be used in a condition. But for example, my colocation and my wireless products can't both be 'other' or else I won't be able to make a customized template for both.

If this would be better as a feature request I will try to give a better example of what I am trying to do.