PayPal Gateway vs Paypal WPP Gateway

I noticed that the Gateway for Website Payments Pro has a "Sandbox" option, and it DOES work very well, but the one for the "regular" PayPal gateway does not offer that option.

I've edited gateway files, to use the Sandbox, for other software that did not normally provide it, and figured the gateway file for this one would be as easy to do. Unfortunately, the file is encoded.

If someone at WHMCS will provide me with an unencoded version of that gateway, I'd be happy to make the edits and submit it back to you guys for re-encoding and offering it as another option. No charge, no rights retained, no authorship credit.

If not, I understand.

And in that case, maybe you all want to take a look at providing the option.

Because with the standard gateway, the *ONLY* change needed is to replace every instance of "www.paypal.com" with "sandbox.paypal.com". All other functions remain unchanged.

You would need to have the ability to add your sandbox crendentials as well. This way you wouldn't have to clear out your regular paypal account details. I agree this would be simple, but it has been discussed before on another thread.

The solution seems to be getting a second paypal account and just refund the amount that you paid back to the originating payment account.

Kind of a pain in the butt. It really is changing out two variables in the paypal module and adding three fields in the module - sandbox account credentials and a check box to enable testing. I would really like to see this because it is easier than going through payments and then refunds.

I think a simpler solution is to duplicate the gateway file, make the edits to the duplicate, and save it as PayPal-Sandbox. That's what I've done with a couple gateways that didn't have the option. After I posted, I verified the existing Gateway behaves like all the others I've seen. URL edits will do it.

Of course, using the resulting gateway with a Sandbox account does take a few more steps on your part, but only a few.