[Solved] Problems with AOL email

steelkat

This software looks perfect for my needs, except for the fact that emails don't get through to AOL addresses. I understand this is a common problem with AOL and PHP mail. I tried setting it to SMTP but I keep getting errors..

I wouldn't care except that several of my existing customers only have AOL email addresses.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Yeah, this is an AOL feature they call spam filter. As you have figured out it is a pain. For more fun with it try and follow all the AOL guidlines and get un-blacklisted. You can jump through all the hoops, but this is not a PHP, Linux or User error; it is just AOL policy (otherwise there would be a fix). There are a couple of other ISPs that are really strict, I think roadrunner is one of them.

Sorry..not sure of a fix for it since I never used AOL and never will

There are a couple of things you can do...

Setup an account on your server to send mail from, such as mailer@yourdomain.com use SMTP with that account (I use cpanel, so it was simple to add a mailbox then setup the SMTP settings for localhost and with the username being the full email address, and the password I specified - if you use something other than cpanel, this might not be the same)

Setup SPF records declaring what hosts are allowed to send mail for your domain (http://postmaster.aol.com/spf/)

Make sure your IP isn't on any blacklists or actually blocked by AOL

I created a free aol email address and tested setting that up as my contact address and sending a message via whmcs and it went through to my inbox just fine.

Setup an account on your server to send mail from, such as mailer@yourdomain.com use SMTP with that account (I use cpanel, so it was simple to add a mailbox then setup the SMTP settings for localhost and with the username being the full email address, and the password I specified - if you use something other than cpanel, this might not be the same)

I tried this and it seems to be working with my test emails and several AOL addresses I have...

Thanks so much for everybody's help,

Tommy