Dedicated server management Addon module

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys just use the last version that was contributed to the forums on the first pages of this discussion... its a good simple starting point to work from

Personally i think the whole concept needs to go further, in as much as making a function like rackmonkey or rackmanange, which is what we currently use as it allows us to manage the IPv space and server/rack positioning at the same time

all the features are there in the IP manager, the downloadable version of this addon and from within the whmcs database to do it really well....

It will take me some time to tie them all in together as we have a lot going on at once, but give me a few weeks and i will get something up for everyone to look at and comment on

• 2 months later...

Ok im starting to finalise a working version of this module (we have a basic format of it working on our own install) however im wondering what information fields people need to record?

Currently on the server list page i have the following fields displayed as the default basic listing fields:

Name

IP Address

Owner

OS

Product

Service Tag

Brand

Model

each server page then expands to reveal:

Owner:

Product:

Server Name:

IP address:

Root Password:

Chassis Brand:

Chassis Model:

Service Tag:

CPU:

Cache:

RAM:

RAM Config:

Drive Controller:

Hard Disk 1:

Hard Disk 2:

Hard Disk 3:

Hard Disk 4:

Notes:

rack, rack position, switch, switch position, apc, apc position will also be added , and in such a way that servers with multiple nics or psu's can be accounted for.

this data will be either pulled from the database or from custom fields in each product

im wondering if the display of the details info should be hidden/revealed using ajax or load on a seperate page?

I am also working on a graphical position display within the rack to physically show the location. In a manner similar to rackmonkey: rackmonkey-rack-layout.png

this will be a second stage of the prject after finalising the fields and listing displays.

what are everyone's thoughts?

Hello,

Your ideas for this sound great - we've been discussing something just like this internally now we're using WHMCS 4. I'd be inclined to use ajax where possible to make browsing around faster. A couple of other fields that would be useful for us in particular would be 'Server ID' and 'Asset Tag', in addition to service tag, as we have labels per server to identify them, and barcoded asset tags too.

I love the rackmonkey visual display, so that would certainly be a good addition in the future. It'd perhaps be nice if we could include other 'assets' on the diagrams too, such as switches or devices that wouldn't be allocated to clients.

One key area for us is IP management, as you mentioned above. It would be great for clients assigned IPs to be able to set their own rDNS, for example (some sort of automated zone import could be configured on the DNS servers). I think perhaps though that IP management may may need to be separate, as it would need to be able to encompass any product with IPs, and not just servers (VPS, etc).

Would be happy to discuss this further with you directly, if you are interested. This looks like a great (and very necessary!) module indeed.

Kind regards,

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a couple of things from my perspective as i have this already built into mine, is switch speed, because some providers limit it.

Another would be warranty expiration, especially for those of us that use Dell PowerEdge series servers.

Yet another i could see useful is tracking if its managed or unmanaged. Being i personally have both, it could be something useful to providers that do the same.

And the final thing in my opinion unless other people like myself have other ways to keep track of them, is administrative username. I know some dedicated server providers keep administrator to themselves and then make an additional user for the person they have sold to or they let them have administrator and they take for example server_admin so that they have access to the server.

Just my couple of cents.

Thanks,

Jeremiah Shinkle

Im not trying to step on any toes from you Snowman so i hope you do not take it that way, but i will release my version i have, i have continued on and have added in some features and some of Snowman's Options for the dedicated server page and have added in from my version that i have had for awhile but never got around to updating.

I do not have the rack monkey intergration or addition, i want to make mine clear that is just all text, nothing fancy, but it works for me.

I am willing to make a few personal side tweaks for some people and update requests on my script for free, just drop me a PM and i will see what i can set to do for you.

I have also removed the dedicated_server.php page which was the page for the dedicated server order. I am working on revamping that to work better and integrate into your whmcs theme.

Let me know if you have any issues!

Enjoy!

Jeremiah Shinkle

dedicated_server_management-1.20.zip

Edited by bullfrog3459

• 3 weeks later...
When we do a clean install, It installs the tables but then just refreshs the install script, doesnt let us get passed that

Awwww man. I am sorry liam. I thought i double checked my files before i uploaded them. Thats twice i have done this, ill make sure i put a sticky note on my desktop to check for my pesky database changes in my code. Thanks Liam!

if you want, you can edit dedicated_server_management.php and edit the line:

$table="mod_ds_manage_new";

to:

$table="mod_ds_manage";

I have attached the working setup. I also fixed a bug with server_add.php page as it was missing a closing tag on a php line which would have caused a white page to load.

I swear i swear i checked this ;) i even got from Matt a dev license just so i can not play with it on my public area =]

On a side note, anything you would want added Liam? Features? Suggestions? Ideas? Requests? Likes? Dislikes?

Thanks

dedicated_server_management1.21.zip

Edited by bullfrog3459

Is it possible to set it up so that on the server list page, you could click on any of the header columns and sort it by that column?

In other words, if you were to make it so you can click on "owner" and it would sort the list in alphabetical order, or if you were to click on "Primary IP address" it would sort the list by IP address, and so on.

Is it possible to set it up so that on the server list page, you could click on any of the header columns and sort it by that column?

In other words, if you were to make it so you can click on "owner" and it would sort the list in alphabetical order, or if you were to click on "Primary IP address" it would sort the list by IP address, and so on.

Its possible, I will take a look into it.

Thanks

Thanks for this module. This module is for only keeping records of dedicated servers right?

Yessir. It keeps track of all vital information for VPS Nodes/Servers as well as physical dedicated servers in one central location. I am working on the order page for this so that it ties in with your whmcs theme and functionality. Its taking me some time to get that going though as i am a n00b with WHMCS pages right now so i am learning and going slow.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Hmm Nice, If you need some help please ask me. i don't know much about PHP but I'm very good in customizing and playing with php in WHMCS.

I want to use WHMCS for dedicated servers at ThePlanet.. Does anyone have Dedicated server addon for ThePlanet datacenter?

Hmm Nice, If you need some help please ask me. i don't know much about PHP but I'm very good in customizing and playing with php in WHMCS.

I want to use WHMCS for dedicated servers at ThePlanet.. Does anyone have Dedicated server addon for ThePlanet datacenter?

Bilal do you have MSN Messenger? Click up on my profile i have all of my communication methods listed. If so i would be interested in working with and getting something worked out regarding this. As far as help, maybe in the future but as it stands right now, not currently, but thank you for the offer! =].

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...