How to define "consulting service" product?

whmfhh

In addition to my hosting services, I'd like to define a "consulting service" product that I can use to bill customers for pre-scheduled sessions I conduct where I help them configure their PCs and software, etc.

I need to bill by the hour, so my initial thought was to define an "other" product with a fixed-price, and then adjust a quantity field to capture the number of hours. It would be great if I could set the quantity to fractional hours, i.e., "1.5" for 90 minutes, but I am not sure if WHMCS is limited to integer quantities.

I'd like to order the product when the consulting session is scheduled, and enter the scheduled date and time. I presume I could use the custom fields capability for that. I'll do the ordering--to control the scheduling--but I want WHMCS to generate an invoice and an email message asking the customer to pay the invoice.

Are there any flaws in this plan? Does anyone have a better approach? Are there any special steps I need to take to setup this type of product properly?

Thanks in advance for your comments and/or advice!