Joomla+WHMCS+Thickbox=smiles

columbusgeek

What do you think of using a Thickbox effect for integrating into a site?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of using a Thickbox effect for integrating into a site?

• Sweet, I want it.
    • Nice, but not compliant enough for me, my clients use IE4.
    • I am so sick of Lightbox/Thickbox/Graybox/Uglybox, let it go.

*edited a few weeks later* I ended up not using the Thickbox how I initially planned. It's only being used very lightly on selective sections. Currently you cannot see the effect if you are not a client. For the most part you can disregard this post now.

This was the inital post.

I went out on a limb and tried to do something a little different then the typical Joomla wrapper. I personally am a big fan of the "keep em on one page as long as possible" theory of web design, and try to implement it as much as possible.

I am building a new design hosting site and it is far from ready for public consumption yet, but I wanted to see what people thought of the Thickbox effect around here before I put more time into it.

http://columbusgeek.com

I personally am a big fan of the "keep em on one page as long as possible" theory of web design, and try to implement it as much as possible.

But your not keeping them at one page really. Your basically using a different style of a popup and IFRAMES are evil. Joomla wrapper is evil as well.

While the "thickbox" or whatever you want to call it, might kind of look cool, its definitely not supposed to be used in the fashion your using it for. Im sorry if I am raining on your parade, but i think its a poor idea.

I am with your train of thought. I know it's not "truely" one page, but thats not always possible.

....its definitely not supposed to be used in the fashion your using it for...

Why do you say that? It's designed to display external content in a window. I can easily make that a https:// url and make it secure once I go live.

....its definitely not supposed to be used in the fashion your using it for...

Why do you say that? It's designed to display external content in a window. I can easily make that a https:// url and make it secure once I go live.

Yes, but not constant pages. Single content. Such as a notice or an image or something like that.

Also, like you stated, it wont work with IE4, browsers with javascript off, and is not accessible (aka, wont work with screen readers, etc). Side note: Target.com was successfully sued recently because their site was not accessible to screen readers.

It also of course hides any type of urls to the client, which to me, is very annoying and untrustworthy when it comes to my personal data and of course financial info.

Just because something CAN be done, doesnt mean it SHOULD be done.

This is just my opinion and your welcome to setup your site as you please (until laws are passed). =P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
I liked how I got it integrated, but ended up reverting back to using the wrapper.

I still use it for little things like server status. It was proving to be too complicated for customer interaction later on in the sale.

In what way do you consider it too complicated for customers? Can you give an example? Is it more complicated than other eCommerce solutions?

• 3 weeks later...