Xero Accounting

in45

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Call me old-fashioned ("Rick, you're old-fashioned!") but paying monthly fees forever and doing accounts on the 'net just seems like a bad combination to me. I must have missed something, because $348/yr (add $120/yr for multi-currency) seems a pretty steep. Why is it better than QuickBooks (boxed version [or online version]), for instance?

Humbly yours,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Call me old-fashioned ("Rick, you're old-fashioned!") but paying monthly fees forever and doing accounts on the 'net just seems like a bad combination to me. I must have missed something, because $348/yr (add $120/yr for multi-currency) seems a pretty steep. Why is it better than QuickBooks (boxed version [or online version]), for instance?

Hey Rick - as a company that is in the process of switching from Quickbooks to Xero this week I'll bite. (I know this is an old post, and an old question, but still).

Pros that I can conjure to mind immediately:

* Flat rate unlimited seats - more than one person can work on the books at the same time rather than waiting for another user to log out, and our external accountant gets full realtime access to run whatever reports he wants.

* No need to be 'at' the machine(s) quickbooks is installed on, or use remote desktop which we've been doing in the past, which introduces it's own foibles, limitations and annoyances

* Automated invoicing that doesn't need someone to open Quickbooks, run the memorised transactions, send them out (we haven't used whmcs for 'everything', and our most important invoices by value were handled in quickbooks exclusively, due to credit account arrangements etc)

* The availability of an API in xero (and similar services) that make feeding of data back and forth between the 'back end accounts (xero)' and the 'front end billing (whmcs)' possible - automatically. No double entry of either each invoice or - as a minimum - monthly sales figures into the back end accounts for sales tax/corporation tax accounting purposes.

* Not having to be inconvenienced by quickbooks demanding I ring them up to reactivate my copy and sit through their attempts to sell me an upgrade (yes, I have been literally -locked out- of my accounts system until I rang them)

* Tech support - quickbooks is an extra cost - and in all honesty - pretty useless and on the end of bad voip with very strong accents that make comprehension and communication difficult when I have used them (and I generally don't have a problem with this at all). Not to mention that in order to have access to even their paid support I'm pretty sure you have to be using the latest version of the software and their support plans don't include software upgrades; so you then HAVE to upgrade every year.

* New functionality and improvements added incrementally all the time - I don't have to expend capex to buy a new version to get the improvements, new minor features etc.

There's more, but honestly, this list alone would be enough - the biggies for us were the first 4 though.