[NOT A BUG] "ALT" and "TITLE" Tags

Boss

I'm no expert in all the HTML coding, but was looking at another bug, when I came across the image on the clients page "My Products".

The image to the far right takes you to the product detail. I noticed that this column has no heading, so I went to the template to look at this and give it a heading.

What I then noticed is that the image is inserted via a <input> tag. and has "ALT" property which should then at least display some text on mouse over, but I had not noticed this text displaying.

So I checked this, and in Firefox the ALT text does not display, but if you use "TITLE" it displays in both in FF (3.06 & 2+) and IE (7.0).

I then checked other images for the same problem and for example all the images in the portal template at least, all also have the "ALT" tag and none of them display the text inserted in this tag.

It appears from what I can find the "ALT" tag is not a valid property in either <input> or <image> tags for FF.

Recommend all these tags, properties be changed to "TITLE".

alt is a required attribute in any img tag to pass XHTML validation. It's used primarily by screen readers. It's not required for input tags but is valid. title is a completely different attribute and is not required to pass validation.

This is certainly not a bug.

Kiliix, thanks for your input.

I still think "title" is important, especially if images are going to be displayed (as in on the page I indicated), if no heading is going to be given to the column, for example.

Sorry agree to what or with who? Sorry I don't follow the comment. As your next statement seems to agree with what I was saying, if only in part.

I was agreeing with the comments made by kellix06. The alt tag is displayed on mouse over by IE because IE doesn't follow standards whereas FF does ;)

Alt should only be used as a visual representation of an image or when the element it applies to cannot be rendered.

Alt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_tag

The title tag is a tool tip for links and anchors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TITLE_tag#Links_and_anchors