ns1 and ns2 why?

Data102

OK So I just went through my purchase procedure again and filled in our nameservers, ns1.data102.com, and ns2.data102.com and it did not build my /etc/resolv.conf file. So, on a lark, I rebuilt it again with just "ns1" and "ns2" and again, nothing in my VPS resolv.conf file.

So, when I fill these are, are they applying the DNS information to the *domains* that I am (supposedly) ordering alongside my VPS or are they supposed to apply the listed DNS recursion settings to the VPS?

Also, in the case of it being for the authoritative name servers for the domains that I am (not) purchasing, why would it ask for only the prefix instead of the FQDN of the nameservers; using just the prefix does not allow me to utilize my existing nameservers that may have no relationship to my new domain?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

No offense, but it sounds like you're rather new to how VPS, and dedicated servers for that matter, work.

Those fields are there to ask the client what he wants his preferred nameservers to be called. And it can be used in any way you, as the VPS provider see fit.

For us, we use it to setup their reverse DNS. And, if we did register the domain for the client then we setup those 2 A & NS records as well.