I can't get Subdomains to work

KevinTH

I must be missing something because I just can't get subdomains to auto create...

My hosting package is WHM with Cpanel.

Following domain names are ficticious samples:

Main domain: 4you.com

Place I want subdomains: 4me.me (used a "big" WHM package with unlimited subdomains and created it) That works

I've created another "small" WHM package for the FreeSubDomains with limited space, pop3 etc....

In WHMCS I make a product "FreeSubDomains" with following specs:

Unticked Show Domain Options (I don't want option to buy domain here)

Not hidden

Subdomain is .4me.me

Pricing free

Module: name: Cpanel; WHM package name: "small"; using default install server (I only have one); quotas match WHM package "small"

Automatically create the account as soon as an order is placed

No Custom Fields

No Configurable options

Affiliates, Upgrade, Other: Nothing applied.

I log out of Admin and log in as client and place an order for "FreeSubDomains"

Now I go back to My Products & Services and the status for the order is pending.....so much for "Automatically create the account as soon as an order is placed"!!!

I log out of client and log into admin find the pending order and it shows (No Domain)......what went wrong???????????? And what would the subdomain be anyway ?????@4me.me. I see no place where that is determined.

Documentation only shows:

Subdomain - The subdomain setting allows you to offer a 4th domain option to clients - in addition to the register, transfer, use own domain options, clients can choose to use a free subdomain of the domain you enter in this field. For example you might enter .yourhostdomain.com (Great for free web hosts)

I entered .4me.me instead of .yourhostdomain.com but still can't see where client chooses what is subdomain to use and why it won't create....

So I manually enter kevin.4me.me in Domain and click Create and voila a Module Command Success, Service Created Successfully, message comes back....I check 4you.com WHM and 4me.me Cpanel and find that instead of a subdomain being created in 4me.me a whole new domain was created in 4you.com WHM. And surprisingly it seems to work. More testing required to confirm that.

But what do I have to do to make it auto create? And as long as 4me.me nameservers are pointing to the shared IP of 4you.com I suppose I could reduce 4me.me package to a minimum and gain more space.

Actually I rather like the way it creates subdomain.4me.me in WHM as a domain rather than a subdomain in 4me.me as each user gets their own control panel. Just gotta figure out a way for client to choose subdomain and get it to auto create......

Any thoughts anybody? All advice greatly appreciated.......

Well I got a little further....

I found that I could configure under Domain Pricing .4me.me with zero $ with None registrar. 4me.me would not be acceptable with any regular registrar so I suppose I become the registrar for that very odd TLD.

I then go to the product and:

Tick Show Domain Options

Tick Free Domain

Choose Annual

Free Domain TLD's I choose .4me.me

Save everything and go to client mode and start to place an order. Unfortunately paid (register, transfer and update) domains as well as free subdomain show but I suppose that's better than nothing.

If I turn off Show Domain Options I don't get free subdomain. Might be a good idea to have domain TLD choices and register, transfer, update) configurable per package rather than globally at the moment.

Anyway now I get a box:

http:// .4me.me

where the client can place his chosen subdomain.

I'll try and complete the order now and post the results.....

Edited by KevinTH

OK I complete order check in WHM and it's created the site...check email and orders processed..check WHMCS admin and order is OK exept it is pending....why not active on a free account if its gone through OK I don't know but I can live with that.....

So it's taken me 8 hours of hard head scratching to work it out. The documentation should be updated to make it far clearer....

If anybody thinks I've done it wrong or just wants to make a comment please feel free to do so......