CDGCommerce

kenb

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi Kenb,

The reason why we can not directly underwrite Canadian merchants is because we are a U.S.-based ISO/MSP with Visa & MasterCard. Visa and MasterCard set territorial restrictions on ISO/MSP's based upon the geographic location of the sponsoring bank(s) they work with. (In fact, to give you another example of this - even though Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, even that area falls into the jurisdiction of the Carribean Visa/MC banks)

We would very much like to work with our good neighbors to the north and this is something that has been requested for years. We do have a program right now through our secondary network of banks for Canadian merchants (which is not an in-house program) but we are still working to get it all in-house and compatible with Quantum, etc.

I mean it very sincerely when I say that I wish that we could underwrite your account but this is just not allowed right now for us (and essentially all other U.S. ISO/MSP's) by Visa & MasterCard. The only exception to this is if you have a U.S. subsidiary, bank account and signer.

Hey thanks for the reply anyway! Sometimes when you don't know the details behind a scenario it seems like there's no reason and all bad luck! I will keep looking for a Canadian merchant account that fits my budget then.

So because I happen to be priveleged enought to live in Canada I don't qualify for the free CDGCommerce credit card merchant account that comes with the WHMCS account?

I find your response rather interesting considering that Canada imposes way more restrictions than the US. Anyone from anywhere can get a .com, .net or even a .us. But only Canadians are allowed a .ca. Doing business in Canada from the US is way more difficult than doing business in the US from Canada. Not a matter priveledge. Simply politics.

Hi Kenb,

The reason why we can not directly underwrite Canadian merchants is because we are a U.S.-based ISO/MSP with Visa & MasterCard. Visa and MasterCard set territorial restrictions on ISO/MSP's based upon the geographic location of the sponsoring bank(s) they work with. (In fact, to give you another example of this - even though Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, even that area falls into the jurisdiction of the Carribean Visa/MC banks)

We would very much like to work with our good neighbors to the north and this is something that has been requested for years. We do have a program right now through our secondary network of banks for Canadian merchants (which is not an in-house program) but we are still working to get it all in-house and compatible with Quantum, etc.

I mean it very sincerely when I say that I wish that we could underwrite your account but this is just not allowed right now for us (and essentially all other U.S. ISO/MSP's) by Visa & MasterCard. The only exception to this is if you have a U.S. subsidiary, bank account and signer.

Has there been any progress at CDG to servicing Canadians ? I see from your order form that this is still only for US residents.

So what is this program with your secondary netowrk of banks for Canadian merchants ??