Moving Addon Domains / Cancelling primary domains

Tyler Jacobson

Forgive me upfront if this has been addressed. I couldn't find it when searching.

I have 2 issues that I want to address before they come up (2 potential problems). Note that in our system you can buy a package that will allow you to host 10 sites (9 of which are addon domains).

1) If a customer requests cancellation of their primary domain name but they want to keep their addon domains - will cancelling the primary effect their FTP access or file paths? Is there a recommended way of dealing with this?

2) How do you handle a transfer of an addon domain name from one client to another? This could come up if client A (who the domain name is currently under) is a web designer and client B is their customer who will be taking over the domain name and hosting for that site. In WHM and WHMCS it only lists the primary domain, but in this situation the primary site and other addons will remain with client A.

If any of this is unclear, let me know and I'll try to clarify my question. Thanks in advance for any advice.

These questions aren't really related to WHMCS, more cPanel/WHM, perhaps The Lounge is more appropriate?

1. An addon domain is basically an A record pointing to a directory within the account. When the account is terminated the directory is of course removed, so the addon will cease to function.

All you need to do is remove the addon domain and change the primary domain, no need to cancel the account at all. This does happen on occasion and is straight forward to deal with.

2. This hasn't happened to us. I would tackle this by removing the addon (thus removing the A record but keeping the files in tact), then have client B sign up for a new account, then simply transfer the files across!