"Date Due" and NET 30

Alarion

Question

Hello,

I was trying WHMCS out previously and I decided not to go with it and instead write my own solution. I got half way through and just don't have the time (ie: I need to get moving with this)

Most hosting providers issue invoices that are due the day they are generated. However, due to dealing with some bigger businesses who are used to everything being NET 30 terms, I currently bill as such. I generate invoices on the first, and they are due in 30 days.

How can I accomplish this in WHMCS? I remember playing with it, but I was a little confused as to how it would handle this.

If I create an order for a client today (July 17th), what should the next due date be set to when I manually edit the order? August 1st or September 1st (yes, I know that's slightly more than 30 days)?

I previously used Modernbill (4.x) and they used a "next generation date". So you could say invoices are due "30" days from generation, then I would tell it to generate on the 1st of August (giving a due date of August 30th).

I know there is the "number of days before invoice is due, to generate invoices" option in the configuration area. But that seems to be backwards. For example, if I set the next invoice due date to August 30th, then enter "30" for the just-mentioned config setting, it will indeed (at least I expect it to) generate an invoice on August 1st. But what happens in September. Does the next due date roll over to Sept 30th? What about February? How is that handled?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really the *only* thing keeping me from purchasing a license and implementing. :)

5 answers to this question

• WHMCS CEO

If you want the item to be billed as due on the 30th of the month, and invoiced on the 1st, then just like in your example you would set the next due date to August 30th and Generate Invoices 30 days in advance. When it's paid, it would move the next due date to 30th September, 30th October, etc... and always invoice on the 1st of the month.

Matt

thank you for the answer. I do have another question - how are pro-rated services handled, with respect to when the first "full" invoice will be generated?

I don't see a configurable option for anniversary billing in the demo hosted on your website. Is this a configurable option that is not present for the demo?

If a client orders on the 17th, will the first invoice be pro-rated? When will the next invoice be generated? I would imagine I am going to have to manually modify every single product ordered to allow for the net 30 terms I mentioned above?

If you want the item to be billed as due on the 30th of the month, and invoiced on the 1st, then just like in your example you would set the next due date to August 30th and Generate Invoices 30 days in advance. When it's paid, it would move the next due date to 30th September, 30th October, etc... and always invoice on the 1st of the month.

Matt

Hi Matt, how do you amend the due date of an invoice when making a new order for a Product/Service for a client?

When I click "Place New Order", there's a generate invoice checkbox. If I create the new order with this option checked, an invoice with Due Date = Issue Date will be sent automatically to the client. Alternatively, If I were to leave this option unchecked, an order will be created, but I can't see a way to generate an invoice. Under Payment Status for the Order, it says "No Invoice Due".

On the other hand, I found out that it is possible to convert a 'Quote' to an invoice, which I can alter the Due Date before hitting Send Invoice Created. I can also create a New Invoice under Client Profile.

However, both options will not allow me to select a Product/Service (with recurring billing), so they are useful only for adhoc billings. :(