02/10/2006 Downtime

• WHMCS CEO

At around 5:55pm (BST) the DNS service on our server went down and subsequently resulted in a temporary downtime for our website. As soon as I became aware of the issue via our monitoring software I was able to correct the issue. The total downtime was just under 60 minutes.

If you did not have your local backup license key installed correctly then you may have experienced some brief interruption to the service of your WHMCS Installation during this period. I apologise for any inconvenience this may of caused.

If you are still experiencing any issues or have any concerns please email sales@whmcs.com

Regards,

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

Just to clear up any questions you may have about local license keys, here's answers to some frequently asked questions:

Once I've installed a local license key, does it work forever?

No, a local license key also expires after 30 days. This is in an effort to protect against software piracy. If a local key was valid forever then people who later make a chargeback or request a refund could continue to use WHMCS forever.

But I have an owned license, surely that is valid forever?

No again. It can't be as there are a high percentage of owned license orders that turn out to be fraudulent. If you got provided with a lifetime local key as soon as you ordered then these users would be able to continue using WHMCS and the loss of earnings here would ultimately affect all customers in higher prices.

So why don't local license keys update automatically?

We use a commercial licensing application and this means we are limited to the features they offer. Until now, updating a local license key has not been possible but with the next update - V2.5.8 - there will be automatic updating of the local license key each time you access your WHMCS Systems Administration area to ensure your local license key is never invalid.