Converting existing PayPal subscribers to WHMCS

DigiGhost

Question

I'm seriously considering stepping up to WHMCS, but I have a possible major dilemma...

I've never had a solution like this in place, so I have bunch of hosting customers already subscribed through PayPal subscription services that were done manually (basically I have my web site with a few PayPal subscription buttons on it, the customer clicks and subscribes, and I set the account up manually when I receive the email notification from PayPal).

The dilemma is, how do I convert these existing customers / subscriptions into the WHMCS system and get all their account information synced with it? Hopefully it would not involved having them all cancel their subscriptions and resubscribe...

I appreciate any input, thank you.

5 answers to this question

Hey,

This can be done! How ever this is what you will need to do, in order to get it working.

You need all the current PayPal Subscription IDs (something like S-01564773HF005604A). Once you have all of those create your clients in WHMCS. Add products to them. Once you add a product you have a little box that asks for a Subscription ID. You enter in the Subscription ID for that client and hit save! Its now in the system. How ever don't forget to setup the IPN url with PayPal, so PayPal can contact your servers to tell them that they paid.

If you need a more detail example, or have any more questions - ask away!

From,

Adam

Thanks Adam! Well, that's easy enough, it will just take some time to enter them all in. I guess this is the one occasion where I can be thankful that my hosting business is really small... hate to imagine what it would be like to have to enter 500 or so of those manually!

But unfortunately I've got this one problem:

How ever don't forget to setup the IPN url with PayPal, so PayPal can contact your servers to tell them that they paid.

I use my PayPal for 2 other subscription services as well, so I'm not sure if I can put anything in the IPN URL section in my PayPal account, as it might affect the subscriptions that occur on those other sites / services.

It's always something, right? :(

EDIT - To be more detailed, an example... let's say I have my hosting company called "Company1" for my dedicated server that I provide shared hosting with. Then let's say I have a subscription-based E-zine called "Company2". Now let's say I setup the PayPal IPN URL for WHMCS for Company1. Now let's say someone starts a new subscription to Company2. Will this have an affect on WHMCS even though the new subscriber on Company2 for the E-zine has nothing to do with the hosting service that WHMCS handles? Also, would this affect how the new customer is brought back to the E-zine site on Company2 after they subscribe?

I hope that was clear, as I don't know how to explain it much better... but I have a feeling I won't be able to use this.

Thanks Kyle, I guess I'll need to figure out what the overall effects would be then, or risk starting a second PayPal account (AFAIK you're only supposed to have one PayPal account by their rules).

Hey,

I would email PayPal about this and see if they can give you another option for PayPal IPN url. I only use one IPN url which is for WHMCS...

From,

Adam