Is SMTP using a secure connection?

iLLuSi0nS

When you choose SMTP as your mail method, isnt port 25 insecure? I am using port 465 in my outlook so that it can be a secure port, but when I set WHMCS to use prt 465, it does not work and says "email cannot be sent" or something like that, but when I change it to port 25, it works fine. Is this port secure?

Port 25 is insecure, yes. I'm not sure about the SMTP Auth password, but that might be an issue as well.

However, that insecurity only matters when you are sending over WiFi or something similar, I wouldn't worry about it on the server - it's completely secure when you're sending to localhost. Unless the host has been root compromised, but then you're up the creek without a paddle as we say.

Even over an internet connection port 25 is pretty insecure as it's hard to intercept, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you use a laptop in airports you should never send or receive in cleartext, that is, don't use ports 25 or 110 (POP).

Yes, I agree. I thought about that too. I said to myself, since WHMCS is on the server, its not actually sending from outside to server to port 25, its within the server and its sending out,

But I would feel so much more secure using a secure port, can anyone elaborate onto why port 465 wont work in the SMTP settings?

I don't think you understood - there is *NO* value in using port 465 when you are communicating with localhost; presumably that's why it fails. Communication with localhost is already automatically secured in the kernel and using port 465 will not make it more secure.

In other words - a complete waste of time - don't go there. You're getting quality advice here - your choice whether to ignore it!