Improved Maxmind Interface

DerekFL

your right, i was blind, not sure how i missed that before.

I noticed that none of the sample text is included for rejection emails, etc. Any reason for this and could we please have it? One, it helps to have examples, two, im just lazy and dont like writing them. =P

I asked already... had to do my own... 8)

your right, i was blind, not sure how i missed that before.

I noticed that none of the sample text is included for rejection emails, etc. Any reason for this and could we please have it? One, it helps to have examples, two, im just lazy and dont like writing them. =P

I asked already... had to do my own... 8)

ah man, he had such nice examples in the pics too. =P

I think I included sample e-mails in the last release or in the release that I'm working on now. I have been fighting with my VPS here lately as it appears that my new company is worse than my old one (didn't think that could happen!)

Also in the next release I'm working on having the ability to have the system suspend accounts with a score greater than X and to reject orders with a score greater than Y. The default WHMCS interface only allows a fraud module to return an accept or reject return for an order, so I can't just put the order into a pending mode. I have to actually let the system create the account and then either terminate it in CPanel, or suspend it. Suspending it seemed to be the most logical.

On a side note I also discovered phoneconfirm.com which allows you to record your customer's voice. The cost is about $.10 more expensive for US calls than MaxMind, but several people have expressed their interest in this feature.

Usually, I'm not about "trashing" things, but then again, I hate to see people being ripped off here as well, so here's my experience with this company/mod.

Firstly, I started out as a trial user. The trial itself was decent, no issues, no worries at all, period. I placed a couple of orders, did a bit of checking, and life was good.

A few days after "trial" started, I noticed that the non beta version was released. So, of course, I subscribed, paid, etc. BIG mistake!!!

Product was ordered on 10/3. IMMEDIATELy after I went in to use it, I noticed issues with corrupted files. No worries, right? It happens, so I'll open up a support ticket, right?

The "support" interface is a joke, quite literally. Rather than use the built in WHMCS system,t hey decided to use Kayako's system which doesn't integrate at all with WHMCS, and, well, it's just a mess.

3 days later, I get my "confirmation" email. Thinking there's some activity on the ticket, I check it out. of course, I can't login, it's a "kayako" thing. What a mess, and completely unprofessional way to run a company.

Almost a week later, my ticket is responded to and the update is made. YAY! Maybe I can use my product now (maybe?).

Oh, but not so fast!

When installing, updating, etc, NOW, I'm faced with more script errors. Certain files couldn't be found or included.

Yet again, another helpdesk ticket. Given the absolutely slow response by these guys, at this point I'm done. Within 24 hours this time (amazing), I'm told that the problem is fixed. Since I required a refund I was told this would be processed immediately.

almost 2 weeks after I waas told my refund would be processed "immediately", I have still yet to see hide nor hair of this refund. I ended up cancelling the paypal subscription myself, but, true to their wonderful support (yeah right), no refund has been processed whatsoever.

If you're after buggy, poorly supported scripts, this is the one for you. Otherwise, hey, the default maxmind interface isn't bad at all, in all reality.

It truly is a shame that people have to foul up the name of such a good product with a poor addon, and such pathetically poor support.

This could VERY easily happen to you, it did, in fact happen to me.

Very odd. All my installs have worked just fine and with no corrupted files. Also, the script is a whole $15, thats nothing for what you get out of it. Complaining about $15 is pretty petty. You should think of it as a donation for the time he put into the script versus purchasing it and think you get unlimited prompt support for a year. LOL.

You want a refund and that is pretty understandable in your case, but to complain about a $15 refund taking a couple weeks, well, you got an idea how i feel about that.

It's not the money i'm complaining about, just the response times, the "fast support" (really), the problems with the script.

I understand the price is slightly cheap, but it's the fact that things were paid for, unusable, and, essentially we're paying to test this script out. I don't pay to "beta test" anything, and I don't pay for slow support.

If the script worked as well as it did in the pre v1 state, I'd have no problems, but I have yet to get it to work since the v1 update.

Like I said, not really "complaining", just letting people know what CAN easily happen here. If it's happened to one (pretty tech savvy) customer, there's no telling what can happen to others.

Like I already mentioned though, the downloads have been fine for me with no corrupted files. To me, this means its an end user error. I havent tried todays release yet, so i can comment on it.

As far as fast support time, maybe your expecting to much? Was any type of SLA posted about response times to this script (not hosting support)? When you described the issue with kayako, it also led me to believe that they didnt get the ticket right away because of kayako issues (sounds typical).

I think that maybe Derek should ask clearly state expected response times as that would clear up some of the misunderstandings. If I get a chance to use this module a one or two times, it has already paid for itself.

To me, this means its an end user error. I havent tried todays release yet, so i can comment on it.

In this case, it wasn't. It's hard to get a "corrupted file" from unzipping the download directly, and the includes, well, he'd mentioned that it had come up a couple of times before as well.

This to me says it's not "end user error", but something awry with the script. maybe not in all circumstances, but in more than one environment ;).

As a php developer/systems admin, the LAST place I tend to run to is support for something. Most of the time, I solve my own errors, and comment on stuff that could be done better. I'm certainly no stranger to things here;). With these cases, though, they were script errors, at least on a php5 environment.

That is an unfortunate situation. But I feel compelled to speakup for Derek as well. I know he's had host problems that kept him offline for a few days. Perhaps that's when some of this took place.

I also know he's a police officer and this is more a service to the community than anything. I believe he made it clear in the beginning that he only wanted to charge enough to cover the cost of the ioncube and zend compilers.

His response to my support needs have been phenomenal. I was having some issues and one was a corrupt file problem. He called me on his dime. Additionally this was while he was in the midst of major host problems and trying to take care of his own problems.

I have received more than $15.00 worth of service for sure. Perhaps Derek should charge a reasonable annual support fee. But as is. I'm with MACscr, what do you feel you're entitled to for $15.00? Yes your problem should get solved and I'm sure it will.

I am sorry things went down the tubes for you on this mod. Because it's very good and sorely needed. I also have no doubt that Derek will get this all squared away.

These past couple of weeks have been rather busy for me. First and foremost I am a father of two children, which takes a lot of time. Second I am a husband, which takes a lot of money =), third I'm a police officer who is subject to call 24/7/365, and fourth I'm a developer trying to develop something for the community at large.

Recently I was involved in a high speed chase in which we ultimately arrested a guy that murdered three people, and was on his way to murder his parents after he discovered that his next intended victim was not at home. Additionally this week is supposed to be my vacation week, but I have court three times. And yet I manage to squeeze in time each night to work on these projects, replying to each ticket the same day that I receive it.

Also we are all reliant on other's software. I am reliant on WHMCS for its internal functioning, as well as on Zend and ionCube. There was an issue recently in which ionCube spit out a corrupted file. This file was fixed as soon as I became aware of it. With that in mind, the majority of the support issues that I receive is because of improper file permissions or because files were not uploaded properly. Therefore the installer now checks to make sure that the files have the proper permissions and are where they are supposed to be.

In the past I have been quick to code in features that the community at large has requested, and have tried to get them into their hands as quickly as possible. Well sometimes when you attempt to do things quickly, you make small mistakes. I have attempted to fix those issues as soon as they came to light. In the future I will do a lot more internal testing before releasing scripts as beta, and will allow them to remain in beta longer before releasing them. The issue here is that some issues only affect a small number of people, and those people never make me aware of the issue so it's impossible to fix. One such example is the issue with the mod calling international numbers. Since the vast majority of our customers are located within the US, we assumed that international calling was not an issue. Apparently the issue existed for about a week or two before it was brought to my attention. Once again this issue was fixed the same day we were notified of it.

Keep in mind that the mod is highly reliant on how two other pieces of software work: WHMCS and MaxMind. This project isn't as easy as writing my own code, it's writing code that will work with both software systems, each with their own ways of handling information.

Also there is no guaranteed response time for support issues or guarantees for refunds. The fees that I charge are by far not covering my expenses. I did however offer to issue a refund in this circumstance, and will do so tomorrow.

Derek,

Got a couple issues here with the new beta and such.

1) I get this error when trying to access the module or installer after uploading the new beta files.

Fatal error: This file has expired. in /home/.........../modules/fraud/maxmind/maxmind.php on line 0

and

Fatal error: This file has expired. in /home/.........../modules/fraud/maxmind/installer.php on line 0

Ive tried reupload the files a couple times and didnt make a difference. I had an issue the first time when my ftp program was set to Auto for transfer type, tried it again with just binary and the above error is what i got.

2) Your bug page doesnt work because of issues with your login share and kayako

3) Cant submit a support ticket because of issue #2

1) I left on a setting in Zend that caused it to expire prematurely. This wouldn't happen in the release version since we use ionCube for those. Also note that the Zend expiring function has been removed from this file all-together.

2) I'm in the midst of reworking the support system. You should be able to register a new account in the support system as it is no longer connected to the loginshare.

3) See #2.

Also made a number of changes to the beta, including grace periods on licenses, license e-mails now only send once per 24 hour period, mod now makes sure that the proper installer was run, maxmind_key.php file now stored in the database, mod now maintains some file permissions automatically and more.

Derek,

Got a couple issues here with the new beta and such.

1) I get this error when trying to access the module or installer after uploading the new beta files.

Fatal error: This file has expired. in /home/.........../modules/fraud/maxmind/maxmind.php on line 0

and

Fatal error: This file has expired. in /home/.........../modules/fraud/maxmind/installer.php on line 0

Ive tried reupload the files a couple times and didnt make a difference. I had an issue the first time when my ftp program was set to Auto for transfer type, tried it again with just binary and the above error is what i got.

2) Your bug page doesnt work because of issues with your login share and kayako

3) Cant submit a support ticket because of issue #2

• 5 years later...