How to add existing clients to new WHMCS?

Lesli

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure where to put this. It doesn't really deal with importing...completely. It doesn't deal with configuration...completely. So I'm putting it here. Mods, please move if this isn't the best category.

I'm now using WHMCS (and there was much rejoicing). I've got both of my installs up, configured, coupled to the merchant account, customized, happy happy joy joy. Except. I was previously using another billing system - and a very old version of same. No import script exists for this beastie (honestly, I'd be surprised if it did). I'll need to manually move over previous client tickets and invoices. However, I'd like to start actually using this, and let my clients see the benefits, while I fiddle around with the back end "on my own time".

Knowing that I'm planning this, what would folks recommend as a "best practice" method for getting existing clients signed up with WHMCS (including their payment information and their currently-active services)?

My initial thought was:

* create a product with zero charge

* have clients sign up on WHMCS by "ordering" this zero-charge product

* have clients enter their payment details

* as clients' accounts reach renewal time, admin manually adds the appropriate product/service - five days in advance of actual due date

* admin manually changes due date to synch up with actual due date

* client receives invoice, is charged according to payment info they put in

* and everybody's happy

Will that work? What have other people done? What pitfalls should I watch for?

Thanks ask21900, but I previously had read that page in the manual. That would be viable...except that I'd like to get the clients involved, have them come to the new URL, set up their payment information, et cetera...I'm afraid that if I input the basics, they might not come immediately to input their payment information, or even realize that this new system will be storing their credit card details. (The old system didn't. I've got a shiny new merchant account and everything.) I've sent out an email letting them know about the new site-launch date, the new offerings, schedules for the new biling system and support area to go online, etc. The site has been revamped, all plan specs have been increased, there are more offerings, and the control panel's been updated - so that's some visible changes for them. I want to keep the positive momentum going...but more importantly, capture their payment information. That's part of my reasoning for having them all actually come through the site.