Cron Problems

Mysteerie

I've been using WHMCS for a while and the cron was running perfectly fine for a long time. However, recently I just started having issues with it (not sure where since no error messages get sent out).

Though it seems to do everything (i.e. invoice, charge credit cards, send out email). Though three things it doesn't do anymore:

It will suspend an account for non-payment (within cPanel) but not mark it suspended in WHMCS, it will not update disk usage (I also tried turning this on and off to see if that was the problem with the cron, but still it didn't provide any result), and lastly it doesn't send out the cron email report anymore.

I do have a temporary fix and that is to run the cron manually by using my browser and manually going to it. Though I rather it be automated, anyone know why this would occur or has it occured to anyone in the past? Any fixes?

• WHMCS CEO

From the sounds of it, it is timing out. Check the max_execution setting on your server and if it's less than 100, try increasing it to 150. If it's not, open a ticket so we can take a look.

Matt

Thank you for the response, forgot to mention that I messed with PHP also and already modified max_execution_time, max_input_time, and memory_limit to some higher values (and restarted apahe and looked in a phpinfo file to make sure they were applied). Any other suggestions?

Any ports besides standard cPanel ports need to be open for WHMCS to work (firewall wise?)

Well before I opened a ticket I just wanted to try one last thing and it seemed to have worked. Two successful cron runs so far (I'll respond to this thread if it that changes).

This is what happened, I made changes to my /etc/my.cnf file (MySQL file) a while back around the same time the cron stopped functioning (but the cron was good for a few days after the changes, then was randomly failing). So I didn't really put two and two together. Howerver, I made some changes to give some more less restrictive settings to MySQL and now it is working fine. The changes I made were to the following configurations (in case anyone else runs into the same problem):

query_cache_limit

query_cache_size

interactive_timeout

wait_timeout

connect_timeout

Most likely the problem was occuring in the low timeout settings I had, I changed the top two settings just in case as well. Well here you go Matt, hopefully someone will search this problem one day and find this soultion (saving you from them opening a ticket).