How to restore backup without duplicate transactions

I restored a backup to a standby server the other day.  I thought that turning off all the WHMCS cron tasks on the restored image would prevent duplicate daily cron transactions.  The daily cron transactions that happened after I first made the backup still got duplicated at the time the server booted up, well past the time the daily cron runs and with all WHMCS crons disabled.  Besides disabling all WHMCS crons, how can I prevent duplicate transactions from occurring on standby servers that may not have all the latest transactions restored since the backup was done?

This is a cold standby billing server that I update occasionally with a full image restore in the event something happens to my primary server.  It does not need to be perfectly synced with the live WHMCS database, hence the delay between the time I did the backup and the restore.  I would restore the latest offsite daily database backup if I ever needed to go live with it.

Edited by mustardman