Request for Custom Invoice Numbering Compatibility with WHMCS

Hello to everybody, 

I am currently evaluating WHMCS to determine whether I will install it for a new project.

My first issue, and not a minor one, concerns the invoice creation system. We are an established company with many years of experience and use a local billing program, as we bill for more than just hosting.

Due to legal requirements and the specifics of our invoice numbering, we must follow a precise numbering system that is not compatible with WHMCS's billing.

For us to use WHMCS, we would need the ability to use our own numbering system during sales and renewals. We would create the invoice locally with our billing program and then manually create an invoice with the same number and details in WHMCS.

For instance, we could work with a proforma invoice system created by WHMCS but never create the final invoice, allowing us to delete the proforma invoice and replace it with one with the correct numbering. While this might seem a bit complicated, sending an email upon an order is not an issue as long as it doesn't contain an invoice number.

Support also tells me that it is possible through hooks to ensure that no invoices are sent to the client at the time of purchase, which seems like a good solution. However, in this case where the invoice is not sent to the client upon payment, will this invoice still be created in their client area or not?

Because ideally, it should not be, allowing us to manually create their invoice in WHMCS.

Thank you for your time.

Oliver