PAYPAL: Confusion over invoice payments & subscriptions

thisismatt

Bear with me as I try to explain what's happened/happening...

I have two clients who want to use PayPal to pay for their services. For one it works fine, but for the other it's becoming and unmitigated nightmare.

They logged in and setup PayPal when they received a domain renewal invoice; that duly got paid. When their next monthly invoice was issued, it didn't get paid. I spoke with PayPal directly about this, as I was confused - they advised that an additional subscription would be needed in order to pay monthly invoices in addition to the existing subscription which will pay the yearly domain renewals.

I asked my client to log in once more, click the 'Pay Now' button when in their client area and once again link PayPal to their account. This they did. That one bill was paid, but no new subscription has been created. So when their next monthly bill is issued shortly, it will once again be subjected to reminder emails - which will understandably infuriate them, and me.

What the hell have I/they done wrong, for this to not work as expected? I can't keep asking them to log in and add their PayPal details, blah blah blah.

I'm currently thinking of just withdrawing PayPal as a payment method, as it seems crazy that any customer would need to go through this process multiple times depending on how many services they take.

Help please, before I go totally crazy!