Plan upgrades not generating new subscription ID with paypal payment method.

If a customer is using paypal only and upgrades a package, do we have to manually remove the subscription ID, create a separate one in PayPal with their details, match the dates, then paste the new subscription id back in the field?I've had a customer who started on a product that was grandfathered, and I wanted them to "downgrade" to a cheaper alternative after I restructured pricing and created new packages/plans.

When the customer downgraded, everything seemed to work normally. The account is provisioned properly, The system will invoice them, but they are no longer automatically charged with the new price and the invoice is left unpaid waiting for manual payment.  To make matters worse, the OLD charge was still active in my PayPal subscription and it charged them outside of WHMCS! So I canceled that subscription, and that appeared to remove the subscription id on WHMCS (unless I removed it myself as well, its been a while since I've been trying to figure this out.) 

Now, before you ask, YES the packages are setup to auto bill monthly. ALL 3 of my packages work flawlessly and I have customers on each that are successfully auto charging each month. The initial order and account setup is NEVER a problem, only upgrading afterward in this case.

Also, YES I had them manually PAY the first invoice that generated after upgrading,

and YES I instructed them to pay the NEXT bill manually and that would officially begin the new subscription, but there is still no new subscription in my paypal.

Does anyone else have issues with this? I set up my clients right from the get-go based on their potential needs, so they rarely upgrade, therefore I do not have a lot of experience testing the functionality of upgrading. I just had a client upgrade using stripe and it seems that all my working stripe payment method customers dont have a subscription ID in the WHMCS, so I'm crossing my fingers for this first stripe upgrade. If it works without a hitch then I might just disable PayPal altogether.