Invoice Numbering Problems

fwebs

i see a problem here

admin/transactions.php

should this not be showing the invoice number rather then the id field

Listing the company name anywhere that the clients name is shown would be more then helpful too as most often people know their clients by company rather then clients name.

there seem to be many places where the invoice ID number is showing rather then the invoice number. Many invoices that I have added to my system are for stuff thats already been billed and paid so that I can have a complete record of this years invoices. The way things are at the moment though makes the whole invoicing system not work as you cant have two different variables that act as the invoice number.

surely you should have stuck with a single unique column for invoice number and if its changed by the admin you check to make sure the number does not clash and then update all the relevant related tables too.

You mentioned somewhere that you could edit the template to display the correct number but this does not work as the invoice number is not passed to smarty only the invoice ID.

Could you let me know your thoughts on this as the way it is now its not worth me carrying on with it and I cant open the site to my customers as the invoice numbers that display on the site do not match with what has been set in the past.

• WHMCS CEO

I'm not going to go into the reasons for it, but suffice to say it needs to be stored in the way it is - see prorata invoicing topics for details. Regarding which shows, in the URL it will always show the ID, and on the transactions list in admin the ID, all other invoice lists should show the custom number if specified. In the client area, it will show the custom number if set, otherwise the ID so there should be no confusion for clients. If you aren't getting the right number in the client area, check your templates were updated during the last upgrade.

Matt

Hi,

Thanks for the replies ..

I only bought whmcs the other day so Im running the latest version 3.4.0.

I understand that you probably have a reason for doing it the way you do and that's not really the issue I was mainly curious as to why it was this way as i could not see the logic.

There are many places though where the invoice ID rather then the invoice number is shown and this confuses me and so will confuse my clients. From a programmers point of view I understand the need for an invoice ID for storing things but as a customer i should only ever see the invoice number.

if I log in as a client I see the list of invoices and it shows the invoice ID if I then view that invoice it shows the invoice Reference Number near the payment details and then the actual invoice number where the date is. this is where the problem is.

When i look at the list of invoices in my admin area and then order them by invoice number it does not work as it actually lists and orders them by the invoice ID but displays them as a mix between invoice ID and invoice number.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ran queries on the database and did i that way to fix it

the problem for me was when i was adding older transactions that were done before using whmcs. make sure you update the id / no in all the relevant tables. i dont remember off hand what they were but there are two or three you need to check

Well, I just checked and in tblinvoices the id number is the series that I set, the invoicenum is the id number that starts at 1.

The only issue I see is that there are duplicate numbers in the invoicenum field.

All I really need is to be able to change what displays on the client invoice the id number from tblinvoices rather than invoicenum. That is what is causing the confusion.