can I use the style tags in the header.tpl

chick

Can I use the following tag in the header.tpl for the link text in the upper parts of the client area nad footer, will this overide the css?

<style>
a:hover{color:blue; background-color:yellow; }
</style>

if I should use css, what code do I use and where in the css do I put it. I am searching the net to find the answer. I searched here but no hits

Hi Baja,

I was trying to change some text and background colors.

(only finally learned HTML now I have to learn css) anyway I found the portal > style.css file and where to put in the css, the code for the effect I wanted. See. I am so proud I figured it out.

{
a:font: 11px;
text-decoration: none;
color: #000000;
}

a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
background-color: yellow;
}

Chick, you've got a few issues there.

you should have one or more of the following:

a{}, a:link{}, a:visited{}, a:active{}, a:hover{}

Here's an article you can read through to help you out: http://www.echoecho.com/csslinks.htm

If there is a current "feature" in the template you want to change, you need to edit the actual file. You cannot just add in-line styles to "override" it as this will eventually cause issues. Just edit the style.css file, and change what you want to have changed.

So, open up style.css, and edit the current a{} and a:hover{} properties.

Chick,

If you use The Firefox Browser there are a few tools which can help you see what is going on in a site. These can help you learn how things work and help you find your own errors within your own sites. There is also one for IE but I wont reccomend that one to you unless you just can't live with out IE which I highly doubt.

Note I can not add links yet to this forum so replace "(dot)" with a "."

1.) Web Developer Tool Bar

LINK: addons.mozilla(dot)org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

This loads up top by your address bar and menu. You might have to turn it on by right clicking an area by your address bar or menu up top.

2.) Fire Bug

LINK: addons.mozilla(dot)org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843

This loads in the bottom right corner as a green check mark.

Both of these might also have to be turned on under: Tools > Addons

These have lots of tools to help you see what is going on behind the scenes of any site you are looking at. PM me if you want further explaination on how to install and or use these.

Baja

This one I forgot I even had installed:

Again, note I can not add links yet to this forum so replace "(dot)" with a "."

addons.mozilla(dot)org/en-US/firefox/addon/2104

Its a quick css viewer. You can access it from what I can tell by going to: Tools > CSS Viewer

Thats how you turn it off too. The other two I recommend more though. I use them all the time.

Baja

^ There's really no need to download the quick css viewer if you've got the Web Developer plugin; There's an option to view the CSS in the toolbar. :)

I rely on this heavily when I work on websites (which is nearly 24x7). I seriously do not think I would be able to live without it, now that I've been using it for awhile.

It definitely helps to debug various issues (especially when I need to outline various DIVs) as well as just having it right there, rather than having to navigate elsewhere :P