Understanding Downgrades and Cancellations

robertb

Hello All,

I have read through the documentation on WHMCS about downgrades and cancellations and while I think I understand it, I'm not 100% sure. Moreover, I'm not sure the default behavior is what I want, and I'm curious to see if it can be adjusted.

In my current billing system (before we move to WHMCS)....

• If a user upgrades, they are charged a pro-rated amount for the upgrade.
  • If a user downgrades, we only have that downgrade take effect at the END of their billing cycle.

So there really is no such thing as a mid-cycle downgrade and we never refund or give credit back to the customer.

It sounds like WHMCS handles the upgrades perfectly, but for downgrades WHMCS wants to issue a refund for the unused days.

Is there any way to configure WHMCS not to do that so it operates like my current billing system where downgrades only take effect at the end of the current cycle?

It also seems to me like WHMCS has the concept of "downgrades" and "cancellations" as two different things.

I currently have a 'free' plan.... if someone downgrades to the free plan, would WHMCS treat that like a cancellation or a downgrade?

Thanks in advance for any insight. It is appreciated!

Cheers!