Changing Payment Method on Invoice

bluetreehost

Hello,

I came across a strange problem - not sure if this is a bug or by design.

After setting up a client, I created an invoice for them. The invoice was viewable fine from the normal URL, and it let you select which Payment Gateway you want to use - which is the expected method.

However, I tested adding Paypal Invoices as an available option - I previously only had Paypal Subscription so it was not available on this one-off invoice. So I clicked Pay by paypal, it forwarded me to the paypal login page, everything looked good.

Here is my issue: when you go back to the invoice, it does not let you select a new payment method. The dropdown menu was there; but if you selected a different method it just sent you right back to the Paypal method.

If an invoice has not been marked as paid, shouldn't it allow you to change the payment method?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Dave

• WHMCS CEO

Are you trying to change it when using the "Printable Version" link from the admin area? If so, then this would happen. You must be logged in as the client for changing the dropdown to work. When logged in as admin you should change it on the Options tab.

Matt

I was viewing this as a regular invoice, not the printable version. I think I see what is going on - if you do log in as client you have the option to change the payment method. If you are not logged in, it will always switch back to the original payment method.

I'm just thinking about it from a client's perspective. When they receive the invoice in an e-mail, they will click on the invoice and try to pay. If they have trouble changing the method of payment, then this could really get them upset - we all know how that goes!

Might I suggest another method of accessing the invoice for the client. This also fixes another possible issue with the current method of invoicing - the fact that anyone can view viewinvoice.php and guess at the invoice number (hello fusker!) and obtain a list of your clients along with their contact information.

Why not include a "key" in the email along with the invoice URL. For example: viewinvoice.php?id=383&key=e3a45f3bcee

This key could be a hash using a salt of their password and the id of the invoice. This would authenticate that they are viewing the invoice from the email and not just some 3rd party. It would allow them to automatically login and proceed to the payment screen, instead of taking 2 additional steps of logging into the customer area and viewing the invoice again.

Anyway just a thought!

Thanks,

-Dave

• WHMCS CEO

The user logs in to view the invoice so the client will never view the invoice and not be able to change the payment method. And when I say were you viewing the printable version - that is the link from the admin area that takes you to the regular client area invoice and you can't change the payment method in the dropdown when using that link.

Matt