Two Factor Authentication working for anyone?

harrip

I've just tried to activate the new two factor authentication in 5.2.3 for admins on our WHMCS. Whilst everything looks to be going ok, when I try to activate it, I get:

It seem's there's a problem...

The code you entered did not match what was expected. Please try again.

I keep trying but it just keeps failing. Am I missing something obvious? I'm using the Google Authenticator on my iPhone and it lets me in to a couple of other applications I use it for.

The problem is almost certainly that your server time is incorrect which results in the key you enter being invalid. If you synchronise your server time with a ntp server (eg. time.nist.gov) you will find it starts to work.

Edited by nathany

• 1 month later...
Many thanks Nathany - that fixed it :)

The problem comes in when my time zone is different to where the server is hosted. My server is hosted in the UK which is GMT+0 but my Google Authenticator is in GMT+2 cause I live in a different country to the server itself.

What now!??

The problem comes in when my time zone is different to where the server is hosted. My server is hosted in the UK which is GMT+0 but my Google Authenticator is in GMT+2 cause I live in a different country to the server itself.

What now!??

Assuming that the time zones are set correctly and that the times are properly synched on both devices/systems, timezones would be taken into account. If the time on either and/or the other is out-of-sync by too much, the tokens will fail.