Domain renewel after invoice paid.

Revolution

If I have purchase domains for my clients that I design for and they pay me when the job is done, when the invoice is paid, the domain will then renew and more money is taken out of my account. How do I get around this without changing me automatic renewel settings for my other clients?

Funny thing I had the same issue yesterday..

I added a payment to the user's account because the user had paid me cash, and it renewed for another year :S

Can anyone give us their input on how to add a payment to the user's account without having the domain renew for another year ?

• WHMCS CEO

If a domain is registered, when an invoice is paid for that domain, it is considered a renewal. If a domain is not registered and an invoice is paid, it is considered a new registration. The only way around this is to not register it before the invoice is marked paid when you have automated registration/renewal enabled.

Matt

Well then can there be something added to the next release to fix this as most of my customers I do projects for, I have the domain setup and site design made and then at the end they pay me for the finished project or I send them an invoice. There has to be something that I can do Matt.

• WHMCS CEO

Surely you must take a deposit before registering the domain? Why can't you make the deposit invoice include the domain payment and register it that way? I think the way it works is logical - if it's not registered, register it, if it is, renew it. There's no other way to tell what the payment is for.

Matt

Hi Matt

It don't work that way with all registrars and we register the domain before payment was received from a client. (We also don't pay the registrar immediately and only end of each month)

The problem witht his is that if we don't register a domain before payment was received (at least not for .com. info. net domains etc) and waiting for the payment the client or somebody else can register it elsewhere so we loose business.

(We don't register international domains before payment was received but it is not a problem because nobody will register it for the client before they pay for it. With our local domains however almost all ISP's register the domain immediately and then invoice their clients - that sometimes only pay much later)

I agree it is good to see the excellent things that you build into the program but an option to enable/disable it would be nice.

Personally I feel that, if you invoice a new client for registration, that payment thereof will always be payment for new registration and never for renewal. (Renewals are mostly for existing clients and several months up to one year later)

(The system already have transfer fees in place for domains that are transfered and not newly registered domains)

1) Client select new registration > invoice for registration > paid = new registration

2) Client select transfer existing domain > invoice for transfer amount > paid = transfer/renewal

Since the option to transfer already registered domain names according preset transfer cost is already in place, it is a bit overboard to ALSO check whether a domain is registered or not for option 1 when an invoice is marked paid.

During the order process the system will anyway check availability so will not give the register domain option. If the system does, the domain was NOT registered at ordering time and the amount paid should automatic go to new registration.

What you build in here is to check whether a domain is registered or not BETWEEN the order date and invoice marked paid date. If yes the sytem regard it as renewal. (Doubt it that invoices will be outstanding for one year and then marked paid so the change is 1/100000 that it is a renewal)

What do you mean you want an option to enable/disable it?

What I means is to disable the check whether a domain is registered or not when an invoice is marked as paid

If a domain is registered, when an invoice is paid for that domain, it is considered a renewal. If a domain is not registered and an invoice is paid, it is considered a new registration. The only way around this is to not register it before the invoice is marked paid when you have automated registration/renewal enabled.

a) Client order xxxx.co.za

b) System checks. xxx.co.za not available so it is transfer

No problem cos system caters for that.

a) Client order zzzz.co.za

b) System checks. zzzz.co.za available

c) Order find place. 10 August - Sunday midnight)

d) Client pay invoice 11 August Monday

e) System check and see domain is registered and apply payment as renewal instead of registration

Actually it IS a new registration becuase the system will not allow the registration of an existing domain as on ordering date 10 August.

To check AGAIN when the invoice is marked paid to determine whether it is a new registration or renewal is unnecessary and problematic.

There's no other way to tell what the payment is for.

There is.

a) If the order was for domain registration it is new domain registration payment

b) If the order was for transfer the payment is for transfer

c) If the system generate the invoice on renewal date it is renewal.