Once And For All!! Which one is it?

Please lets put this to rest once and for all.

This issue comes up alot across alot of web hoster support forums.

Which one is it?

Do you register the server IP or the Dedicated IP of the WHMCS installation if it's different than the server IP?

Senario - You buy a dedicated server, you create all your packages, you create reseller packages.

You setup a SSL for your main server's IP (the one that defualts to "welcome to WHM").

You setup a dedicated IP for your main site, the one that hosts the WHMCS.

You issue a WHMCS liecence for your new installation. You setup your Enom account info.

At this point which IP address do you send them to have whitelisted?

Or do you send all of them? What about each reseller account that will have a dedi IP with a WHMCS installation in it, if the server IP is what's listed then they wouldn't need to have anything submitted right?

Why this is so confusing i dont know, but believe it or not the docs here say to only submit the server ip, but i think thats from the perspective of installing a WHMCS on the main server ip. Or amk i wrong?

I would like Matt to give a full descriptive staight forward answer on this and then i will repost that on the various forums that have these questions in droves. (I couldnt get a straight answer on google either, i'd like to change that by makeing the answer readily available)

Thank you very Much

He's talking the eNom API connection, not the WHMCS license server.

This really has nothing to do with WHMCS, and its certainly not specific to eNom. Any API that uses whitelisting works this way.

You need to use your servers primary outgoing IP address. The server makes a connection to the API (typically with curl), and all outgoing connections will use the primary IP of the server, not the dedicated IP you have assigned.

Again, this has nothing to do with WHMCS, so I'm not sure why you would really be "demanding" an answer here.

myself, and to put this to bed, at least in my case, i added the my dedicated IP to the API, (test) and then i found authentication failed with an invalid IP, so, i added the servers shared IP, and the connection succeeded, so to summise, the shared IP is the one to use.

As a reasonable expansion.. can i just say... you should not need a dedicated ip address for your website unless you are setting up as a reseller and hosting other sites. in my case i have a few personal sites that i just host on my own server so as to keep clients and my own entirely seperate, hence i need the dedicated ip for my private SSL so i can use ssl on the others too.

• WHMCS CEO
Please lets put this to rest once and for all.

This issue comes up alot across alot of web hoster support forums.

Which one is it?

Do you register the server IP or the Dedicated IP of the WHMCS installation if it's different than the server IP?

Enom make this quite simple really as they tell you the IP they see you connecting from in the error. So the simplest way is to try register a domain, you'll get an error saying "Invalid Client IP xx.xx.xxx.xx" and whatever it says there is what you need to get whitelisted with them. There need not be any guesswork.

The answer to this is in our docs already I believe.

Matt