License Invalid for the second time now....Bug?

senad

I've installed WHMCS. I purchased the lifetime non-branding version and about two days after installation I received an invalid license error. I thought ok maybe on issue with the license so I reissued another one. Today the same error has happened. Only this time I can't even login to the client area! And if I try to do a password recovery it tells me that it cannot find the e-mail address in the database...Is this common? Right now I am not very pleased as this application is critical to our billing system and it is having issues like this.

I've sent in a ticket but was curious to know if this is a bug in the system and/or if somebody else has had these problems?

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue with the monthly non-branded license. I've had to reissue the license 3 times now. Seems to happen randomly. Worked for about a week last time I changed. This time it has been about a month and the error just showed up. Very strange too as I had just logged in to my admin area earlier the same day without issue. Nothing else had changed at all.

EDIT: Looks like it may be related to a folder change. Only this time it seemed to have a longer grace period. See this thread for more info: http://forums.whmcs.com/viewtopic.php?t=2617

Have you also changed your admin folder name at all? I'd like to confirm if this is a similar issue. If so then I want to make a new thread about the license using the admin folder. I think the license should use the root WHMCS folder instead of the admin folder. My reasoning for this is that the license is installed at WHMCS install time so it is always installed when the admin folder is 'admin'. So after you chnage it you often forget to reissue the license (as I do!).

Nothing else had changed at all.

EDIT: Looks like it may be related to a folder change.

So when you say nothing had changed, you had made a change :/

I found the same as you and went "oh, ok - guess it goes by the full path then" which is quite sensible :)

Bit of a pain perhaps, but it's not that much of an issue unless you're changing folder names every day, which would be a hassle in itself!

I had meant nothing had changed after initial install changes and from the time working to the time it stopped. I change the folder immediately after upgrade and it 'seemingly' works fine.

i could be wrong but doesnt WHMCS call home and check to see if a license is valid? It could be that at the time that when it tries to call home, it times out and probably thinks you're running a nulled version of whmcs so it turns the license off.

It could be that. But I thought there was a grace period. So unless it was timing out every time due to a network or other issue, I would expect it to get the license the next try. Since this happened more randomly I was looking elsewhere for a cause.

Maybe a nice feature would be a notification near the expiration date that lets admins know the license is currently in grace mode and is pending an update or that an update had failed... Then it would make an admin look for an issue or reissue a license for a previous change that was not reissued for.

I had meant nothing had changed after initial install changes and from the time working to the time it stopped. I change the folder immediately after upgrade and it 'seemingly' works fine.

It could be that. But I thought there was a grace period. So unless it was timing out every time due to a network or other issue, I would expect it to get the license the next try. Since this happened more randomly I was looking elsewhere for a cause.

Maybe a nice feature would be a notification near the expiration date that lets admins know the license is currently in grace mode and is pending an update or that an update had failed...

Ah right, I see. I note about grace mode would indeed be nice :)

• WHMCS CEO

The license is always in grace mode. A check is only made once every 5 days so you'd always see the message. It shouldn't really cause an issue - most people know that whenever they change the location of their install, they have to reissue the license - and how often do you move it? Not very often.

Matt