New OpenSRS Plugin Development

Hello WHMCS/OpenSRS Users,

I recently changed to OpenSRS as a reseller - after going through the list of available registrars in WHMCS and selecting a good fit for our company. Unfortunately with the WHMCS OpenSRS plugin supplied by WHMCS (unlike eNom for example) there are no SSL provisioning modules, no email forwarding, and no DNS management.

The OpenSRS developed WHMCS plugin seems to have been designed with some of these things in mind, but there has not been any movement on this for some time, and support is lacking somewhat.

I approached OpenSRS to see if they were upgrading or developing a new plugin, or if they would be interested in building one with the below features:

- Domain suggestion tool, preferably using OpenSRS to perform availability checks.

- SSL Certificate integration/automation.

- Full DNS Management.

- Email forwarding.

- Nameserver registration

- Whois Privacy support including the ability enable and disable WHOIS

The good news is that, yes, they can build a new plugin with the above functionality in mind... the bad news is that the estimated cost is $5000 USD as quoted by the OpenSRS Professional Services team.

Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep, but I do believe that such a plugin would add significant value to my business as well as those in a similar position: WHMCS and OpenSRS users.

If the budget is met and development proceeds, I will make sure the source code is NOT encrypted and the finished plugin released freely, immediately on completion, to all those who made a donation. The plugin will be compatible with WHMCS V5.1 and I will support it for 12 months after release to the public.

Link for donations: http://www.gofundme.com/ovy84

Thanks for the response... I think. I do realise there is an existing module, which is why I took the time to put down the additional functionality as well. Please see these points from my original post:

- Domain suggestion tool, preferably using OpenSRS to perform availability checks.

- SSL Certificate integration/automation.

- Full DNS Management.

- Email forwarding.

- Nameserver registration

- Whois Privacy support including the ability enable and disable WHOIS

Yes I also agree it is expensive... either way I will be proceeding with seeing this through, regardless of whether or not other OpenSRS resellers want to donate and use the module as well.

Well,

First off, like htb said, $5000 is a joke. The module functionality you're looking for could be built for 10-20% of that.

Secondly, you state that you will support it. However, Given that you do not appear to be a developer, how exactly do you plan on supporting such a project that (presumably) everyone else is going to pay for?

Well,

First off, like htb said, $5000 is a joke. The module functionality you're looking for could be built for 10-20% of that.

Secondly, you state that you will support it. However, Given that you do not appear to be a developer, how exactly do you plan on supporting such a project that (presumably) everyone else is going to pay for?

I would cover additional support costs with OpenSRS. Easy on there pal, if you want to build one, go right ahead... I have had enough bad experiences with "programmers" that going directly to the source (OpenSRS), even if that includes paying a premium amount, will result in a far better outcome.

Either way, with or without donations, I will be proceeding. It is purely an opportunity for people in the same boat to get a fully featured experience with OpenSRS services and help lighten the load on my credit card. Like I said, my pockets are not that deep to lump up with $5k - but ultimately if I need to hold off for a couple of months, I will.

Have you asked around to see if anyone has built a custom module for this yet?

I've actually done a couple of them in the past for clients. Unfortunately, they choose to keep the code to themselves, rather than release it.

If you're interested in having an opensource module created, I might be willing to take a look for a reasonable fee. (i.e., nothing close to $5,000).

To be honest, if they quoted you that high of a price, it sounds to me that they're not interested in doing it, or do not have the experience required with WHMCS. Most registrar modules (I've done over a dozen of them) take anywhere from 3-10 hours to complete depending on the API being used, and the amount of features involved. Given that timeframe, they'd be charging about $500/hr for development, which is outrageous. I'd certainly entertain shopping around for a price like that.

I wish I got paid 500$ an hour for what is obstensibly a moderate difficulty PHP/mysql/bind hack at best.

Love how everyone is an expert programmer all of a sudden :) Feel free to create one and sell it, I would buy it.

Nobody has done something like this, yet everybody seems to be able to do it? I would still rather take my chances directly with OpenSRS, walking the walk and all that. All I am trying to do is build something that the community can enjoy, not start a discussion about how easy and/or expensive it is.

Want to help? Donate and get something worthwhile out of it, otherwise if you listen carefully you can hear someone, somewhere, on the internet is wrong and needs an opinion... go get 'em tiger!

I also have done alot OpenSRS module that you can see on my site if some how you need help :)

Yes, thanks for the offer, I did get your email a couple of days ago as well. Unfortunately, as mentioned in my response, I will stick to OpenSRS's professional services team.

Have you asked around to see if anyone has built a custom module for this yet?

I've actually done a couple of them in the past for clients. Unfortunately, they choose to keep the code to themselves, rather than release it.

If you're interested in having an opensource module created, I might be willing to take a look for a reasonable fee. (i.e., nothing close to $5,000).

To be honest, if they quoted you that high of a price, it sounds to me that they're not interested in doing it, or do not have the experience required with WHMCS. Most registrar modules (I've done over a dozen of them) take anywhere from 3-10 hours to complete depending on the API being used, and the amount of features involved. Given that timeframe, they'd be charging about $500/hr for development, which is outrageous. I'd certainly entertain shopping around for a price like that.

OpenSRS released a somewhat "unfinished" product last year, which had some promising features but support died, and there has not been a word from them since aside from sporadic forum posts and emails.

• 1 month later...