paypal ipn question

durangod

I just saw on the paypal gateway screen of whmcs where it says at the bottom

(You must enable IPN inside your PayPal account and set the URL to http://xxxxxx.com/billing)

I am going to get my first hosting customer tomorrow morning, spoke with them tonight and they will go thru the process in the morning

I use my paypal for my other business as well, several of them. And i have the ipn turned off on the account. I use coding inside the form for those other sites to help navigate the completion of the sale and such.

What i am afraid of is that if i activate ipn on this account it will screw up my sale navigation for my other business payment process.

Here are my questions:

What happens if i use the form input vars to do the return and ipn notify rather than turn on the ipn on the account, will that work the same?

Do i have access to the payment form in the portal template or is it encoded as part of whmcs? If so where is it, what filename?

I really need to get around turning on this ipn on the account if i can. Thanks

The payment form is encoded. You have to enable IPN in order for WHMCS to get notified of payments that have been made. It should not break any other payment systems you're using. The IPN URL doesn't have to be entered, you just need the IPN service turned on. The IPN URL is sent with each payment request.

Hi thanks so much laszlof, so if i have the url in the ipn on the paypal account, that means that if another payment comes through from another website (nothing to do with whmcs or hosting) it will try to notify whmcs of the payment?

Reason i ask is because if that is the case then i guess i need to recheck and make sure that i have the url notify and return input in each of my other forms for my other sites correct? That should override the ipn setting for each other business and notify/return to the other sites in particular?

Edited by durangod

Hi thanks so much laszlof, so if i have the url in the ipn on the paypal account, that means that if another payment comes through from another website (nothing to do with whmcs or hosting) it will try to notify whmcs of the payment?

Reason i ask is because if that is the case then i guess i need to recheck and make sure that i have the url notify and return input in each of my other forms for my other sites correct? That should override the ipn setting for each other business and notify/return to the other sites in particular?

Thats correct. WHMCS will not use the URL you specify as your IPN address. It defines its own IPN for each transaction.

If you have the URL set, and you send a request to paypal that DOES NOT contain the IPN URL, it will use that URL to notify the script a payment has been made. WHMCS will just silently ignore it if it doesnt have an associated invoice or subscription ID in WHMCS though.

Cool thanks so much laszlof :)

update: i just found out by trying to remove it that it will not let you remove the url, paypal requires a valid url in order to activate the ipn. lol just fyi, i didnt know that either till just now.

Edited by durangod