Newline wrapping in HTML e-mails

Hello,

I've noticed an issue when sending out HTML e-mails, in that sometimes very long lines will be generated which will get wrapped incorrectly, resulting in newlines being inserted in the middle of words. In an e-mail I just sent out to clients today, for instance, the line appeared to be wrapped at the 991st character. In one e-mail, this resulted in the word "these" turning into "th\n ese". In another, "extensions" became "exte\n nsions". (Both had a space after the newline, for some reason).

Is it possible that WHMCS could manually wrap HTML e-mails at a more appropriate position? For what it's worth, could the same be done with text e-mails too, at least as an option (possibly with "format=flowed" set)? According to traditional e-mail standards, lines shouldn't be more than 80 characters wide. If nothing else, at least the ability to wrap HTML e-mails (which should make no difference to the end user) so that I don't end up with br oken wor ds would be nice! :)

Thanks,

Owen

• 4 weeks later...
  • WHMCS CEO

Hi Owen,

Through what method was this email being sent exactly? As in WHMCS we use the PHPMailer class for email processing and it is meant to handle this line breaking automatically.

Matt

This is using the mass mail tool, although I've also noticed it with the general mail tool for individual clients, and I think occasionally even in product welcome e-mails and so on. Basically it may potentially happen in any e-mail that WHMCS sends out. I can upload samples showing what I'm talking about if desired.