How do I manually apply a promotion code to an existing client?

tomb

Hello again,

we're finally ready to switch to WHMCS. There's one issue we're facing with promotion codes. Promotion are working when they are entered during the order process.

How do I apply a promotion code to an existing client? I've set up a promotion code with Type percentage, recurring enabled, Value 50.00, applies to hosting plan is selected. The remaining set are disabled.

When I select the promotion code for a Product/Service and generate a invoice, the promotion isn'applied correctly. Let's say the monthly hosting cost are $10. The promotion code shows up on the invoice with -$10 and the hosting plan cost are 20€. There's no 50% discount on the hosting plan costs. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.

I've only operated one promotion and existing clients did not have any issues using it

They need to view their invoice first, and then insert the promo code, which is then applied

Make sure the New Signups box is unticked, that way existing clients can use it

If you only want it to apply to existing clients, then tick that box

Do NOT tick both boxes, then nothing will happen!

Recurring

This could be an issue if the customer has already made recurring payments, as I believe this is a running total

So if you set 5 but the cilent has already made 6 such payments, then they do not qualify

In effect this is only of use to new clients

Edited by m8internet

Thank you for your helpful support. It's great to see that WHMCS provides new users with a strong support community.

This could be an issue if the customer has already made recurring payments, as I believe this is a running total

So if you set 5 but the cilent has already made 6 such payments, then they do not qualify

In effect this is only of use to new clients

The client hasn't made a payment yet. The recurring product/services has been created a couple of months ago. It's really strange the Promotion Code is applied (via the admin panel > client product/services > , it shows up on the invoice but the discount isn't correct (see above).

As above, I've only operated one promotion and it worked correctly and as I had setup

If your promotion is not working as expected then there is clearly an issue

However it may take some time to find it as there are so many rules within WHMCS that one may be causing the issue you are experiencing

Thanks anyway. I am looking into this right now. I've tested this with all 4 promotion types. None of them are working. Even promotion type "free" doesn't work which looks like this

monthly hosting plan $10

hosting plan $12.48

free promotion code $-2.48

-----------------------------------

Total $10

Is there any kind of system rule hierarchy to find out how WHMCS applies promotions?

Indeed the promotion code wasn't applied correctly.

Solution: You need to override the recurring amount field to the amount you want it to be after the promotion is applied. And then WHMCS will when invoicing for the item multiply up the product price to what it would be without the discount, and then display the itemised discount amount on the invoice as normal.