Request: assets, inventory, or general network documentation module

Track Assets/Inventory/Network Documentation

I am needing to track network documentation and equipment info for clients I manage. I do more network management, break fix, and managed services than domains and hosting.

In a perfect world, it would have templates for type of data (server, wireless, base network info, workstation, etc), but that is way down the road.

For now, basic info, and a BIG text field. Attaching a document to it would be a bonus, but not required.

I am not familiar enough with WHMCS security yet to answer this .. can I show info to certain users, but not others?

The BIGGEST risk would be client A seeing Client B's setup, network info, usernames, etc, but there is some data not all techs should see.

How about a read role and a modify role? Do roles in WHMCS inherit? Ideally some items are seen by the client, but

other are not. Client A should obviously NEVER see Client B info.

It would need to be linked to a company (required), and optionally a location and/or specific client.

Can the list of locations and clients be limited by selected company?

To ease the process, I am thinking this can be fairly generic with the below fields.

• id (autogenerated)
  • Category (not sure this is needed, but it would be a admin managed drop down)
  • CompanyId ???
  • ContactId ???
  • LocationId ???
  • Name (free text)
  • Asset_ID (free text)
  • Manufacturer (free text)
  • Model # (free text)
  • Serial # (free text)
  • Warranty Exp Date (date field)
  • Install Date (date field)
  • Install Notes (free text)
  • admin user (free text)
  • admin pass (encrypted except for certain roles?)
  • Invoice ID (should be open text for now, as the invoice or may not come from WHMCS)
  • Asset Notes (Large text field)
  • Actions ... field can be a linked field that allows multiple action items to be stored. (swapped hard drive on the 01/01/2012,changed switch to enable Vlan22, etc)
  • Internal_Only (??? not sure best way to implement this .. 2 roles, multi-select, etc .. have no idea yet).

The reality is 80% of the items are going to be a name and lots of "asset notes". 20% are going to be specific pieces of equipment.

I don't want to make it too complicated, but it does need to be able to store above info and be retrievable. I use ConnectWise to manage

this info now and have used SharePoint in the past. I can still use SharePoint, but I like the idea of a client being able to retrieve/access their own info.

One concern is: Security Security Security Security Security

If SharePoint is the better way to go, I can do that. I really want to see if I can get all my day-to-day into WHMCS.