Issue with placing an order for an existing client

We're new users of WHMCS and have a question regarding adding an order to an existing customer in WHMCS. Firstly, we are web developers and although we do provide hosting services, it isn't the main delivery of our business so we may not be using WHMCS exactly how it is intended to be used.

Scenario:

A new client registers and we build their website and put the solution live. We then want to start regular monthly billing for this customer and want to start this off by adding an order in the WHMCS admin section, with the client then being alerted to the fact that they now have to start paying monthly. The reason for us doing it is that by placing an order, we will not forget that the hosting/support side of the deal has yet to be paid.

Issue:

As a logged in admin, can we place an order for an existing client for a subscription payment. When we do it now, the client either doesn't get an invoice to request payment and/or they can't select subscription payment from the generated invoice in the client area as the option isn't there. We have found a workaround but it isn't ideal so I was wondering whether anyone new if this is bug/oversight or if there is a legitimate reason for it behaving like this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks SD.

What payment gateway are you using? If it's paypal, you can only really place an order with Paypal Invoices as then they'll get an invoice if you choose subscription, they won't get anything. We haven't done the same for other gateways though I'd say it would be the same. Invoices and subscriptions are different, I've never heard of an invoice to get a subscription going and doubt that is possible.

Hey,

To chose PayPal subscription, tell your client to login to their client area, click on My Products and Services > {chose the product or services} and you will see a button to continue with the PayPal subscription. (Something like Recreate Subscription)

Hope that helps,

Adam