Mail Type

Gears

Which method of mail do you use PHP Mail() or SMTP? Does one have more benefits than the other?

I'm using PHP Mail() right now but I'm considering switching to SMTP. When receiving any of the email templates (Customer Invoice, Order Confirmation, etc), the sender is info@example.com but when receiving support ticket emails, the sender is department_name@example.com

If I change to SMTP with this still be the case?

The support department's are assigned with emails which you specify; In this case you chose 'department_name@example.com' and for the email templates its 'info@example.com'. That's not going to change! It will stay the same whether you use PHP Mail() or SMTP :)

Hope that helps..

Ok thanks. So what's the difference between PHP Mail() and SMTP?

This is what I'm thinking:

If I use PHP Mail(), the email message is sent by the server (the main server if I'm on a shared hosting account). If I use SMTP, the email is sent by the actual email account that I choose. Am I right? Can you elaborate?

Ace to answer your question, the program will use the -f switch with php mail() to set the sender. So if everything is properly configured, your users should see the sender correctly.

Some users have also posted some feedback about using the php mail() function .. namely that it causes them to be greylisted or thrown into a spam folder with some of the large free email providers. That again, is more of a server configuration and clean IP issue than not, and if that happens to you, try the SMTP.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks MACscr

The support department's are assigned with emails which you specify; In this case you chose 'department_name@example.com' and for the email templates its 'info@example.com'. That's not going to change! It will stay the same whether you use PHP Mail() or SMTP :)

Hope that helps..

So does that mean emails from the support departments can only be sent by the php function?

Thanks MACscr

Hope that helps..

So does that mean emails from the support departments can only be sent by the php function?

he didnt say anything of the sorts

Thanks MACscr

Hope that helps..

he didnt say anything of the sorts

So then those email addresses like thesalesdpt@example.com use the smtp credentials of the info@example.com email account?