Retrying failed cc attempts

rbro

Am I right in assuming that if a cc billing attempt fails while running billing either through a cron or the "attempt cc payments" button, that it will be retried the next time an attempt is made? The reason I ask is that I noticed this text in the "payment failed" email:

"You now need to login to your client area to pay the invoice manually."

That's not true, right? Technically the customer doesn't need to login and pay it manually, right?

• WHMCS CEO

Yes, it will be tried the next time but of course they'll need to login. If it fails on one occasion, it isn't going to change on the next one. They must either have invalid card details entered or the cards expired or no card entered at all. Otherwise it would have worked first time?

Matt

Yes, it will be tried the next time but of course they'll need to login. If it fails on one occasion, it isn't going to change on the next one. They must either have invalid card details entered or the cards expired or no card entered at all. Otherwise it would have worked first time?

Matt

Not necessarily. There are all kinds of reasons a charge attempt could fail and it doesn't always necessitate changing the card. Gateway could be down, cc limit could have been reached, cc company could be putting some type of temporary hold on transactions etc., etc. I can't tell you hiow many times customers have emailed me after a failed attempt and said "Try it again, I just called my cc company" or something like that and it works the next time. I just wanted to be clear that they don't really have to login and they don't have to attempt to pay it manually in order for the charge attempts to continue. I suppose I can always just change the text on that email template myself, although in a sense I kind of like the idea that the customer feels that they are now obligated to take action and follow through on it!