Product Group vs. Product Type

rbro

I can see that having a hosting package in one product group vs. another allows me to break up the order form into different categories, but I see there is a "product type" as well. My instinct is to simply mirror the product types with my groups, i.e. shared, reseller, dedicated, other. Is this what most people do? Is there something internally that happens if a package has a type of reseller vs. shared or dedicated or "other", or is this all simply for organizational purposes?

Hey,

No their is a difference between Shared, Reseller, VPS/Dedicated and other.

Shared and Reseller will have different options on the admin side allowing access and such. Will also show domain order on the order page.

VPS/Dedicated will ask for nameservers and root password on the order page.

While other will have the option or turning off the step 2 which is for domain information and lead you right into the config. options and config. fields of the order process.

From,

Adam

• WHMCS CEO

There are differences between the product types, obviously a shared hosting account gets setup instead of a reseller with those two different options, then different fields for servers, and then the other category. There is no need for any custom defined types as has been requested before - it is for the system to know what a product is only.

Matt

There are differences between the product types, obviously a shared hosting account gets setup instead of a reseller with those two different options, then different fields for servers, and then the other category. There is no need for any custom defined types as has been requested before - it is for the system to know what a product is only.

Matt

OK, so I'll be sure to set the right product type for each package. Are the product groups simply for organizational purposes on the order form?