Differentiate between new and recurring invoices

WHMCS does a good job of handling invoicing which is great. Since WHMCS uses the same email template to send out an invoice for a new order or for a recurring payment, I find myself with a little problem...

A lot of our customers purchase products that have annually recurring billing. What seems to happen is that by the time that product needs to be re-invoiced, the customers have forgotten ordering it and get a fright when they suddenly receive an email saying "Thanks for your order, you owe us XYZ amount of money"

Is it possible to differentiate between which invoices are for new orders and which are for recurring so that we can either send out a different email or at least send an additional email explaining the invoice to our customers?

you could add and if signupdate < today to put dfferent words in the emails :)

That's not a bad idea but someone may register an account and only order a product later. I suppose you could check if the customer has any other invoices but since you can have more than one product, you could have been invoiced for something else