Feedback Needed: Domain Expiry Warnings

Matt

Which option?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which option?

• WHMCS CEO

Hi,

I'm looking at implementing domain expiry warnings into WHMCS - 60, 30, 7 & 1 day before the expiry date. Looking for your feedback on how it should work - three options, please vote for the option you want:

Option 1

Invoice is generated for domain renewal 60 days before it's due. (However, this does mean hosting account which may be due on the same date is invoiced seperately.) Reminders are sent at 60, 30, 7 & 1 day before the expiry date reminding the user of the upcoming domain expiry and the need to login and pay the invoice for it.

Option 2

Reminders are sent at 60, 30, 7 & 1 day before the expiry date reminding the user of the upcoming domain expiry and the need to login and pay the invoice for it but also told that the invoice will not be created until x days before the renewal date as is currently done.

Option 3

Reminders are sent at 60, 30, 7 & 1 day before the expiry date. To renew before the date invoices are set to be generated, user must log in, go to My Domains > View Details and then click on a Renew button which generates the invoice for the renewal at that time. If not done by the date invoices get generated, invoice raised as normal.

Matt

Something along the lines of Option 3 is best since, if I understand correctly, the domains will get auto-renewed if no action is taken.

Also, would it not be possible, to simply add a field at signup of any domain name, stating:

1. renew automatically

2. renew manually

3. do not renew

And they would also be able to set this preference in My Domains > View Details at any time after the purchase of any domain?

• WHMCS CEO

If a merchant gateway is used, then with all options the domain is automatically renewed when the generated invoice is due. A renew automatically option would not be possible, as renewal should never occur without payment first.

Matt

Understood.

But by the above, I meant that before creating an invoice and payment collection, that the cron would first check the user's preference, then create an invoice for 1 or 2, and collect automatically only for option 1. If option 3 is specified, no invoice or collection is initiated.

• 2 weeks later...
If a merchant gateway is used, then with all options the domain is automatically renewed when the generated invoice is due.

So does this mean that all registered domains are essentially automatically renewed pending payment of that invoice? Is there not currently a way for customers to specify in advance that they'd rather not have their domain automatically renew so that a renewal invoice is never generated?

• 2 months later...

I currently set all renewals for 10 days prior to expiration, if the cc charge goes thru, i renew the domain if not, then the client will get a notice and have to login, update the card and the domain will then be renewed.

I dont want invoices generated in advance.

I Do not need anything like you have offered.

Please make sure you have an option not to use your new idea for those of us who dont need it.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...