Invoices with paypal subscriptions

SetLar8

Question

13 answers to this question

Hey,

Paypal subscription takes money out of your client's account ASAP with out clicking any links or what not (client side) With the other option, a invoice is created and your client has to click on a link and then go to paypal and sign in and pay. Paypal subscription takes the money out of their account with out any links to click or what ever....

From,

Adam

ok but when IPN is switched on are the invoces automatiaclly paid of do i have to manually accept payment into the whmcs system?

Nope, you don't have to do anything. The system takes care of all that....

From,

Adam

• WHMCS CEO

I'm interested to know what people think about the way WHMCS handles this currently - ie. no invoice for PayPal Subscriptions.

Something happened to me the other day that confirmed what I originally thought about the way this system was setup. I have a hosting account with another company who use MB and I got an invoice on the 06/06/06 for the account. I paid it without thinking - then on 12/06/06 a subscription payment also paid it for me. This confused me - why did MB not tell me there was a subscription setup? - why send an invoice in advance if its being taken care of automatically? - why give a Pay Now link on the invoice?

So I think the way WHMCS does it is better - but maybe I'm biased! What do you guys think - should an invoice be generated and marked paid even for subscriptions? :)

What do you guys think - should an invoice be generated and marked paid even for subscriptions? :)

No, I think that would just confuse clients.

I don't know how hard this would be, but I think that if a client cancels a subscription it should mark it as "subscription cancelled" in the system. When their next due date comes, it should email them with a link to resubscribe to the subscription or possibly have a link in their client area to resubscribe to the subscription.

If that is too hard, then as soon as the subscription is cancelled have WHM change their payment method to PayPal Invoices - that way they will carry on getting billed. ;)

So I think the way WHMCS does it is better - but maybe I'm biased! What do you guys think - should an invoice be generated and marked paid even for subscriptions? :)

Maybe not an invoice per se, but something like a statement that says "THIS IS NOT A BILL - PAYMENT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY PAID BY PAYPAL ON XX/XX/XX (date)" or something along those lines a few days before the PayPal Sub. payment is made just to give them a heads up...

Chrishaley, I agree with you. You could have an invoice that is sent to the customer saying that "this bill is being paid by your paypal subscription on the date xx-xx-xxxx. No need to take action. Please retain this receipt for your records." And then when it is actually paid, it will automatically should paid on receipt. This is how it is with WHMAutopilot. Maybe you could do something like that. Just a suggestion though.

That's not the way WHMAutoPilot does it. WHMAP doesn't do anything. A subscription payment gets paid and it doesn't even send a receipt like WHMCS. It's really bad for clients, that's one of the main reasons I switched to WHMCS.