issues with header.tpl

jrnetwork

I'm trying to edit my header.tpl file in my portal template in two ways. But I'm having issues. As soon as I make any valid changes, the template breaks. These are the two changes I'm trying to make:

I want to change the title:

<title>{$companyname} - {$pagetitle}{if $kbarticle.title} - {$kbarticle.title}{/if}</title>

to

<title>{$pagetitle}{if $kbarticle.title} - {$kbarticle.title}{/if} - {$companyname}</title>

so the page name appears before the company name. It's such a simple change, but as soon as I do this, the template breaks and it's all over the page.

The second change I'm trying to do is to put in a favicon.ico file, but inserting this line in the head of my header.tpl file:

<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="templates/{$template}/favicon.ico">

and I've got the favicon.ico file uploaded into that directory. Again, if I make this simple change, the template breaks and it's all over the page. I need to re-upload my unedited version to fix it, not even undoing the changes and then uploading the file fixes it either.

Hoping someone here has a solution for this.

By the way, using Notepad ++ as you suggested has worked perfectly. I knew there was nothing wrong with the coding change I had done.

This also explains why when I cicked undo in Dreamweaver and then uploaded, it still did not work. Obviously Dreamweaver is not good for editing .tpl files.