Product Purchase, Subscription Added, but Delayed

Trekkan

Here is an example of what we'd like to do, but are unsure of how to do it (if it's even possible).

Customer signs up, purchases product A for a one time charge.

The customer is automatically signed up for subscription package B, which is a recurring charge every X.

The customer isn't billed until X days out for the subscription package.

After X days, then the customer is finally sent an invoice on the subscription charge.

So, to add numbers to it:

Customer buys product A for 30.00, one time charge

Customer is automatically signed up for a recurring charge for $5.00 a month

Customer is not billed the $5.00 until 30 days have passed. They shouldn't see an invoice, etc until then.

Is this possible?

I have no issue with changing the due date, manually through the database and I'm ok with that. However I don't want the customer to be invoiced until that due date (or X days before the due date).

The way I was looking to do is was to create a product and attach an addon to it automatically. You apparently can't force an addon on someone (it's a checkbox and defaulted to off) which doesn't work for our case. However, I was just going to hook into AfterShoppingCartCheckout, check the product ID, make sure it's the correct product, then manually add the Addon.

The problem with this is, there's no API that I can see for adding an addon. I'm not sure of all of the tables that get hit with the addon, so I'm a little leery of doing this, but not completely against it either. I could just use some help in this area as to what tables I'd need to hit, etc.