Issue of zero balance invoices getting processed by gateway

generic

I am continuing to experience an issue with Zero Balance Invoices. If this has been corrected in 3.1.1, please advise.

Here is an example of a typical issue I have.

1. A client signs up for a $9 a month plan.

2. After sign up they call me and tell me they had a coupon for their first month free but forgot to use it

3. I log into WHMCS and issue a credit for $9 which should cover their next month of service.

4. On the invoice creation date an invoice is generated, which accurately applies the credit making the total $ of the invoice due at $0.00.

5. The invoice is not marked as paid.

6. On the due date the invoice is processed and an attempt to bill the clients card for $0.00 is tried resulting in a failure by authorize.net because a charge can not be $0.00 and an email going out to the client that payment failed.

In order to correct it I had to (after the fact)

1. login to WHMCS

2. go to the the clients account

3. go to invoices

4. go to add payment

5. don't make any input - just click on add payment to generate a $0.00 payment which marked the invoice as paid.

What I see that could be added to assist with this issue...

1. A general configuration setting not to process invoices with $0.00 as due

2. A general configuration setting to automatically mark $0.00 invoices as paid

3. a button on the summary page for invoices to "Mark As Paid" (all the other options are there, just not "Mark A Paid")

While I don't have this issue all the time, I do see it happening in the future anytime I issue a credit for the total amount of the next monthly charge. Does anyone have any suggestions or can we add this ability to the next version?